Posts by date

[LVLC] – new locos for my garden railroad

Posted by Gerd on Thursday, 25 August 2016 (Comments Closed)

While I’m working on my trolley layout, I’ll show you some other updates in between from my Fn3 garden logging railroad.

The livesteam and the Bachmann Shay were actually in service, but there were two more locos on my roster. Together with the Bachmann Shay, I also got a Climax for the same railroad, but I sold her some years ago. Now I got the chance to get her back into my collection, so both locos were united again. The Climax needs some restoration, because of damage during shipping and I’ll replace the outdated battery-power-system with a new one similar to the big Shay. I’ll also add sound to the Climax.

To the far left is a very small Shay, which was my personal second Shay ever (unfortunately, the first one is lost). I got a box with parts of a KTM Shay in 1:24 scale, which was hardly damaged. I had to spend a whole new frame and drive. Later I replaced the cab to make her matching to my 1:20 rolling stock. Anyhow – I decided to bring her back to live after a break of 10 years, resting on top of a showcase in the living room. I already removed the old batteries and will repower her with modern Lipo batteries and a simple control system, but no sound. At least, she’ll be a very small Shay beside the bigger ones, but there has been such Shays in real too.

Grüße, Gerd

[BCRR] – Assembling the trucks

Posted by Gerd on Monday, 22 August 2016 (Comments Closed)

Last weekend, I assembled the trucks from 272 parts each. It took me arround 10 to 15 minutes for each truck. The more I finished, the faster I got.

And here are the trucks in detail. The first step into my new freight cars is done.

I’ll exhibit my H0m trolley line layout on September 4th, so work on my new freight cars will pause for two weeks, until I’ve got everything prepared for the show. Afterwards, I’ll continue work on the box car.

[BCRR] – Bolster pre-assembling

Posted by Gerd on Saturday, 20 August 2016 (Comments Closed)

With the last bits done, it’s time to pre-assemble the truck bolsters for painting.

I decided to glue the spring plank between the sides and to get a tight bound, I’ll glue them before painting. To insert the springs, I’ll make the lower plank removable, but put them in place to get the bolster glued up square and parallel.

The bolts and nuts were used to clamp everything together. Once the glue was set, I removed the screws in the center ans replaced them with wood dowels. On the real thing, the spring plank would move freely up and down to provide the suspension to the car body. The spring plank would be guided by the side blocks, screwed in place. To get a prototype like looking truck, I faked them a little bit.

In the late evening, I took the spray cans and painted the truck sides as well as the bolsters. I also pre-painted the nuts and washers and all other hardware.

Next is to assemble the first truck… I’m very excited… really…

[BCRR] – Testing my 3D-printed journal boxes.

Posted by Gerd on Friday, 19 August 2016 (Comments Closed)

I got some questions about the strength and durability of my 3D-printed journal boxes, which I use on my archbar trucks. Here’s what I found out…  

[BCRR] – making swiss cheese…

Posted by Gerd on Thursday, 18 August 2016 (Comments Closed)

Hard to beleave, but actually, the trucks are more holes than parts… I cut the last planks for the bolsters and made some movie clips, showing how fast one can work with good preparation and jigs/stop blocks… Next I drilled 200+ holes into the 24 wood pieces. Most of them are to screw the bolsters […]

[BCRR] – Carpenters work for the trucks

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 16 August 2016 (Comments Closed)

Once the archbar sides were done, I started with the bolster. I chose a prototype with wooden bolsters, and since they will be painted in freight car brown, I used plywood to make them strong enough. But first, I made a cross-cut-sled for my table saw, which is very helpfull on such tasks. By using […]

[BCRR] – Drilling holes….

Posted by Gerd on Saturday, 13 August 2016 with 2 Comments

Today, I did nothing than holes… 216 of them and each was made in two steps… I added a wooden drilling table to mill with a fence at the back, which allows fast alignment of the work pieces. I used the center line mark on each flat bar to pre-drill the first hole with a […]

[BCRR] – Bending archbars…

Posted by Gerd on Thursday, 11 August 2016 (Comments Closed)

Finally, I started work on the new archbar trucks for the new freight cars. I wasn’t sure how to bend all the flat bars to proper form, so I spend some thoughts and ideas in this task. To get the task done, I bought a used hydraulic press and made dies from steel for the […]

[BCRR] – Planing of new freight cars

Posted by Gerd on Wednesday, 10 August 2016 with 2 Comments

Today, I’ll show you a preview of my new freight cars that I’m planing tu built for my railroad. My idea is to replace the 4-wheeled freight cars, which were poor runner on uneven track and unusual for 1920th US narrow gauge railroads. I’ll replace them by classic truck based rolling stock, which will negotiate […]

[BCRR] – The work caboose is finished

Posted by Gerd on Monday, 8 August 2016 (Comments Closed)

Good morning, last weekend, I finished the new work caboose. After some thoughts, I decided to reuse the old workbench and just rearranged all the parts. I added two low sides to the flat car to prevent the bits and pieces to fall off from the car. Some tools were scratch-built, some of the saws […]