in the past days, I spend some time here and there to get progress done in my new workshop. After moving the bigger machines into the new shop and filling all the drawers and cabinets with tools and stuff, nearly everything has found its new home. Finally, I defined the new workshop “ready to be in working condition”, with some smaller open issues. I’ll make an additional drawers for my wood drills and the lathe and mill need some maintenance before I can mount them to the supports.
To move the large and heavy equipment, I used a chain hoist. The machines got pushed onto a work table, moved below the hoist and lowered down to a roller board. They were then loaded onto a hand car to be moved to the new workshop. To place the machines, I used the chain hoist again in opposite order.
The support for the milling machine was already built from old cabinets our of the old workshop. Here I found some additional place to store my welding tools and equipment for the mill and lathe as well as my color cans.
The lathe got a separate support, which also houses the metal-bandsaw, which is mounted to a roller board and can be pulled out for operation. The drawer below the lathe was used for stock material in the old workshop. I just cut her down in size, to match the new table.
The stock material is now stored in 4 wooden boxes in the storage rack opposite to the lathe.
Once the rough move was done, I started to sort all the tools and stuff into the drawers and cabinets. I also decided to dump some older stuff, which I don’t use and especially such clutter from small pieces which you might use/need some day, but actually you doesn’t.
With the new workshop done so far, I’m able now to spend some work on my railroad projects again. There were some module-legs to be built for my trolley layout, but once they are done, I’ll be back on my logging railroad projects.
in the past days, did some finishing touches on my old house, which is actually for sale. I also brought a lot of stuff and tools from the old workshop to the new one and started to fill the drawers and cabinets with stuff. I soon realized, that I want have enough space for all the stuff which is still in the old workshop. Especially model making materials and parts. Finally I moved the 2″-scale bunkhouses and deco-stuff into the old garden shed and installed a shelf instead. Here’s a before-after-view :
Since I doesn’t need the roller boards for my steam locos anymore, I rebuild one of them to hold the disconnect-crates. Those were also shortened (since I made them a to large originally) and now the crates can be easily moved too. They found a place beside the storage shelf with the other 2″-scale rolling stock.
This weekend, I’ll finally move the three large workshop machines (lathe, mill and bandsaw) and once the machines were in the new shop, I can finally install the supports for them and I look forward to get the whole Workshop finished within the next 2-3 weeks. Once I’m done, I’ll immediately step into my next logging railroad project.
here’s another short update. I finally installed the remaining kitchen cabinets as well as some shelfs to hold material. Later, these shelfs will hold my raw materials.
At least, I added bottom shelf to the work table to store some more stuff.
I also made some theoretical progress on the mill and lathe support. Both are designed and can be build soon. I’ve to start with the mill to have full access to that corner.
Will be continued, Gerd
Hello folks, I wish you all a happy New Year 2017 , health and peace as well as many joy with our hobby !!! I wasn’t busy at the end of 2016 and did major progress in the workshop. My dad helped me out one day and we covered the last walls to get the […]