before I proceed with the next set of details part, I decided to give all components a basic coat of paint, since its hart to paint them, once the details are in place. Later, I’ll spend a weathering to the whole Steam Donkey.
The last bag of parts holds the water piping between the water tank and the boiler, including two injectors. This means a lot of pewter fittings and some length of brass rod. Oh yeah – and the knitting guide…
All fittings have to be drilled to take the brass rods, some of them only 1/8 of an inch long. Piece by piece, the whole pipework takes shape until the main sections were ready to be installed on the donkey boiler. It took more 3 hours to get all the piping together.
But at least, the patience will lead to a very well-looking result. Now the donkey is ready for the weathering. I don’t know yet when I’ll finish the last step.
Actually, I’ve another big project in mind…
Welcome to part two of the Dolbeer build-log.
After finishing the wood sled last week, I continued with the boiler. Looked like a simple straight-forward “drill & glue”-job…
Well, a test-fit of the smoke stack showed, that the hole in the boiler top is to wide. To make it fit nice and keep the stack removable, I made a brass ring on the lathe, which got glued into the boiler, which I drilled with a 16mm end-mill. The rest was really easy assembling.
So I went ahead to the next bag of parts – the steam engine
This chapter needs some more filing and fitting, until all the parts came together. There are some burrs to remove and some holes needed. At least, the instructions are well written and the drawings/photos were helpful to get all the parts together.
Since the next parts bag only includes the winch assembly, I glued the few parts together as well. Now it looks close to the final model, but there’s still a bag of small bits and parts left as well as the water tank..
More next week, Gerd
since I’m fully in Fn3-scale-mode, I decided to start the next project for my LVLC. Some month ago, I ordered a Donkey kit from Ozark-Miniatures , which recently arrived. Such early steam Donkey were used to haul wood from the cutting area to the log-landing. I ordered the simple version without haul back, since this will fit perfectly on my flatcar for moving.
The pics above shows what’s inside this “craftsman kit” with skill level “9”. Craftsmans kits like this requires timber-cutting, a lot of drilling and sometimes some special crochet work. Some years ago, I already assembled a similar kit, so I was aware of it.
First step if the wooden sled. I cut the timbers to size and drilled the holes as defined by the template.
Before I glued the timbers together, I gave them a ride on a wood rasp to engrave some grain and gave they got stained. The sled got glued together with wood glue.
The next evening, I inserted the truss rods from brass wire. I use browning fluids on most metal parts, especially on pewter and brass, to get them pre-colored. Once the truss rods are in place and centered, the NBW’s got glued into the holes to complete the truss rod imitation.
The first bag of parts also includes the main shaft with bearings and the flywheel/brake assembly. Together with the resin castings, the donkey begins to take shape.
For the summer break, I don’t find the time for model railroading in the moment, I have some rare photos from my first log train. This log train was built in … to the great Romanian logging railroads for G-scale. The steam loco “Berta” was kit-bashed from a Playmobil loco. The three original cars, two […]
Hello, today, I have a tuning report of my Accucraft Shay. No, I didn’t spend a low-rider chassis neither a V8 motor… But I could improve the running of the loco very well. Large scale railroader Bill Allen wrote an article regarding the Porter-style “Ruby” made by Accucraft. After measuring and calculating, he determined, that […]