I assembled all the rods and valve gear and finally got the loco running on air !!
It’s a wonderful feeling to see a new build steam loco/engine coming alive. There are some small issues and a few parts still missing, but at all, the loco is coming together step by step.
Beside the chassis, I spend some time on the boiler toppings. The Resita has 3 domes on the boiler, which should be closer together and at least, closer to the stack, as it is done in the kit. Since I want to any changes on the boiler itself, I tried to make the best out of it with some tricks. Moving the square sand dome in the center is simple, but the rear steam dome sit’s around the safety valve.
So I soldered a piece of brass into the hole and drilled new one 8mm behind, just at the edge of the dome itself. So I was able to move the dome 8mm to the front as well as the sand dome 4mm. The distance between the domes is close to the prototype. They still should be closer to the front of the boiler, but it’s okay for me.
At least, I made dome rings from brass tube as well as dome saddles from 0.6mm brass sheet. Some minor additions, but they really adds to the over-all look of the boiler.
Theses were more or less the last big changes at the moment, so I’m close to come to the painting part.