Posts by date

[WBE] digging out the mill creek

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 30 January 2018 with 7 Comments

Hi folks,

I just got the “go” for the Exhibition in Sinsheim/Germany on March 9-11th. So it’s time to get some more progress done on the new module.

I made a cut out to the module box just beside the sawmill to add the mill creek. I added strips of plywood to gain some depth and finally a sheet of plywood below to form a canal.

The whole canal is revetted with sand stone. I used some structure sheets from Vollmer and colored them to match the sand stone we have in our region. The riverbed got simply painted and some stones and greens added. I than spend 4 “fills” of Woodland water to create the water surface.

The water-wheel will be placed in the right channel, so I added a wall to hold the bearing. At the far edge of the module, I’ll add two water locks to regulate the overflow (left) and the water-wheel. With the mill creek done, I was able to fit in the last two pieces of track. I used some old code 100 rails as bridge trusses. Should work for such a slim gauge logging line ;-)

No I’ve to wait for some electronic bits I had to order, before I can finish the wiring. The turnout mechanisms are already in place and connected.

See you next week, Gerd

[WBE] A new module for my Hon30 layout

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 23 January 2018 (Comments Closed)

Hello logging railroaders!!!

After spending so much time on my Resita loco, I’ll switch to a smaller scale project. I just started work on a new module for my Hon30 forestry railroad. I look forward to exhibit the layout again in March 2018, so it would be great to show something new. Once the module is done, I’ll return to the garden railroad project. Promised ;-)

The new module will be 80x20cm, just the same size as my station-module and connects right to the left of it. The module will feature a sawmill-scene. Central piece of the module is the little Faller mill. I really like the model, but I’ve to kitbash it, to make it fit on the small modules.

So the water wheel will move from the back to the side of the mill. This makes the whole mill assembly 3cm narrower, so it will fit on the module with a run-by-track in front of the mill. I first made a paper moke-up to see if the clearance to the rail is okay, before I started with the building.

On the side of the main building, I closed the lower door and window, since the water wheel will be moved to this area. I pre-assembled the parts with tape to check the clearance to the rails again. Once I was sure, I started painting the plastic parts and assembling the sawmill structures.

It took me some time to get all the parts painted, weathered and build up. As usual, I build the houses without the base. I also decided to mirror the far right shed-section to make it fit better into the scenery.

With the sawmill building done, I can now start with the woodwork on the Casani-boxes.

Will be continued soon ;-)

[CFF] The Resita is ready to run !!

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 16 January 2018 with 5 Comments

Hello,

the last work is done on the Resita and the loco is ready to run.

Beside the paint on the cab, I added some last details as well, like the oil pump on the right hand cylinder or the sucker-pipe to take water. I used a white crayon to add the washed trim on the water tanks and bunker.

After the airbrush-weathering, I added the last details to give here the prototypical look of a well used Romanian logging loco. The number plates are custom etched, as the kit is delivered with 764-484 plates.

And here she is, finished and ready for first service – CFF 764-467 of the Cimpul Cetatii line in the 1992 version.

The loco was finished on Dec. 23rd. so I was able to run here during the annual X-mas-steam-up the next day.

Since the loco was finished, I took a break (hard to believe) and I’ll start with finishing the cars next week. So stay tuned, the Cimpul Cetatii story will be continued

Regards, Gerd

[CFF] The Resita is nearly done

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 9 January 2018 (Comments Closed)

Hello again, this might be the forelast report until the Resita is finished. After the successful test runs under steam, I installed the RC-components. I use 4 channels for reverse gear, steam valve, whistle and brake. The brake was added subsequently, after I noticed that I need one to slow down the train on downward […]

A new steam loco engineer got trained

Posted by Gerd on Friday, 5 January 2018 with 2 Comments

I often read about the live steam hobby, that this is something for “old men”… Well, our little daughter (3) is too young to know about that, so she just enjoys, that she has fun with. Running dads live steam trains for example… I’m glad to have more than one live steam loco, so we […]

[CFF] more paint for the Resita & first steam-up

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 2 January 2018 with 2 Comments

I’m totally in love with logging railroads, mostly for the worn out and cluttered look of the locos as well as the whole railroads. Clean and shiny museum railroad locos are missing the special flair and charm of the railroads when they are still in service back in the 80′ and 90′. So I grabbed […]