I’m proud to report the last batch of logging trucks (disconnects) done. Over all I made 12 pairs of them and I can’t imagine to make more of them ;-)
8 pairs are used as logging disconnects to haul logs, 2 pairs are used as trucks on the flat car, another pair below the caboose. The last pair will carry a freight car, which will follow soon.
With most of the rail cars finished, it’s time to start something totally different… like a rail-car ;-)
Several logging railroads in Romania used rail-cars or rail-trucks for several purposes. During some research on the internet, I found this Russian “Wolga”-car, which is close to some other rail-cars used in Romania. It’s 1/18 scale so it matches very well to my 1/19 scale (16mm-scale) railroad. The car body is from metal, while all other parts seem to be plastic. I started to dismantle the car to see how it can be converted to ride on rails.
The rear axle got a motor drive installed, which is mostly hidden by the wheels and chassis. I had the components from another project in my junk-box and could re-use them on this project. I just had to move the large spur gear to and exchange the bearing pipe to fit the larger axle diameter.
On the car chassis, I removed the rear axle and added new bearings to the leave-spring suspension. I used photos of a similar car used at the logging railroad of Commandau in Romania. I had to move the springs slightly outward to make space for the wheel set.
The model originally featured a fully detailed motor unit under the hood. Since I was able to place all the electronics here, I ripped out the motor and started to install the old Locolinc control. the receiver and controller are placed at the back. A 4s Lipo battery with 450mAh fits in well so the all the control and power stuff is hidden below the bonnet.
You can see the receiver on the left and the controller on the right. The controller is also able to switch lights as well as functions just as DCC. At the moment, I don’t install lights at all, since the Resita is also without head lights. Maybe I’ll add them one day in the future.
In the center of the engine bay is enough space for the battery. A switch was added to the left-side wheel case and the electronic installation was complete. Time for a first test run on rails.
Now I wait for some brass profiles I ordered to build a matching front truck with small wheels just as on the prototype. Hopefully I can show the progress next week.
Unfortunately, I lost all followers during the reason changes on my Blog. If your interested in further weekly blog updates, please subscribe again at the bottom right menu.
Many thanks !!! Gerd
Hi followers & readers,
two sleepless nights and some grey hairs lay behind me, but I finally managed to do some important updates on my blog. First of all, my blog is now SSL-encrypt and I spend some attention to the actual data protection rules. Finally I was able to reactivate the blog-comments as well as blog-subscription and a contact form. The new data protection declaration can be found in the top menu.
As expected by me, WordPress and Automatiic have provided new updates to fullwill the GDPR. I also checked the other plugins I used, removed some and replaced others which were not “clean” with the GDPR. During the next days, I like to review older blog entries and update especially the Youtube-links, to reduce the data traffic between the websites.
If you determine any issue, please let me know. One starts to get routine-blinded to fast.
And now, back into the workshop for the next logging railroad project. Let’s see what I can show you next week.
Kind regards and enjoy your hobby, whatever which it is.
Hello, with a one week delay, I’m happy to show you my latest videos from our 2018-trip to Zürich in Switzerland. As each year, the Swiss Dampf-Modell-Club holds a 4-day meet around the Ascension day. We had a great time there and meet a lot of friends and enjoyed the very nice layout which is […]
Hello logging railroaders, I’m not sure if all of my English-speaking readers are aware of the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in Europe. Actually nearly any publisher of internet content is affected and it’s hard to obtain the rules to stay clean with the law. After some research, I learned that my WordPress-Blog is […]
Hello, last week I spend some attention to the storage and transport of my new garden railroad rolling stock. Since I got some more cars together now, it’s not the best way to just set them into crates for storage and transport. So I bought some sturdy plastic boxes and added wooden stop blocks to […]
Hi folks, another week has passed with lot’s of activities. First of all, I made an interior for my tool box, which was on my to-do-ist for a long time. The wooden tool box comes from the home store, while I added the compartment setup for all the tools and stuff I need to operate […]
Hello, last week, in I started into the 5″-gauge live steam season 2018. In preparation, I made a new cart for loading the loco. I got a scissor lift table and spend some modification to make is fit the large steam locos. As before, the locos are rolled up from the workshop on a wooden […]