[CFF] A rail-car for the logging railroad

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 29 May 2018

Hello again,

I’m proud to report the last batch of logging trucks (disconnects) done. Over all I made 12 pairs of them and I can’t imagine to make more of them ;-)

8 pairs are used as logging disconnects to haul logs, 2 pairs are used as trucks on the flat car, another pair below the caboose. The last pair will carry a freight car, which will follow soon.

With most of the rail cars finished, it’s time to start something totally different… like a rail-car ;-)

Several logging railroads in Romania used rail-cars or rail-trucks for several purposes. During some research on the internet, I found this Russian “Wolga”-car, which is close to some other rail-cars used in Romania. It’s 1/18 scale so it matches very well to my 1/19 scale (16mm-scale) railroad. The car body is from metal, while all other parts seem to be plastic. I started to dismantle the car to see how it can be converted to ride on rails.

The rear axle got a motor drive installed, which is mostly hidden by the wheels and chassis. I had the components from another project in my junk-box and could re-use them on this project. I just had to move the large spur gear to and exchange the bearing pipe to fit the larger axle diameter.

On the car chassis, I removed the rear axle and added new bearings to the leave-spring suspension. I used photos of a similar car used at the logging railroad of Commandau in Romania. I had to move the springs slightly outward to make space for the wheel set.

The model originally featured a fully detailed motor unit under the hood. Since I was able to place all the electronics here, I ripped out the motor and started to install the old Locolinc control. the receiver and controller are placed at the back. A 4s Lipo battery with 450mAh fits in well so the all the control and power stuff is hidden below the bonnet.

You can see the receiver on the left and the controller on the right. The controller is also able to switch lights as well as functions just as DCC. At the moment, I don’t install lights at all, since the Resita is also without head lights. Maybe I’ll add them one day in the future.

In the center of the engine bay is enough space for the battery. A switch was added to the left-side wheel case and the electronic installation was complete. Time for a first test run on rails.

Now I wait for some brass profiles I ordered to build a matching front truck with small wheels just as on the prototype. Hopefully I can show the progress next week.

Gerd