since the exhibition in Lille has passed, I’m back on my garden railroads. When I introduced my 3-truck Shays some while ago, I noted the need of mode skeleton log cars to run longer trains.
I spend a lot of thinking, using the same pattern from the first cars, or a different one. Finally I decided to make a new pattern based on cars build by Pacific Car & Foundry. The basic dimensions are the same, so I can run all cars together. As I already had 5 cars, I started a new batch of 7 to get a total of 12 cars. This allows two trains of 6 cars, which will fit into the runaround loop at Ronja Springs together with a Shay, caboose and freight car.
As usual, I used bulk-production and made all parts for all 7 cars at the same time/setting.
I first cut pieces from brass sheet for the coupler covers and trusses. Once the edges were cleaned with a file, I clamped a steel angle to the milling machine, aligned it properly and dialed it in relation to the spindle. Now I can simple drill the pilot holes with a center-drill by using the absolute coordinates from the center of the angle. The workpieces are simple exchanged and are aligned by the angle. So it’s very fast and easy to drill repetitive holes in multiple work pieces.
The cover plates above the couplers got some nails and screws added. They are soldered from the back side and filed flush afterwards. The short pieces of rail will become the stop blocks on the log bunks.
The timbers were cut on my table saw from scrap wood and finished on the band saw. the pockets at the ends will hold the Kadee-couplers.
The first setup gives a feeling for the new series of log cars. I still had some more Kadee archbar trucks and couplers on backorder. Once all parts are collected, I’ll start with the final assembly of the cars.