After a short break, I’ll show you some progress on my next Moldovita based car. The line used a small 4-wheel caboose on their log trains and I always had a special favor for it. At least for its small size and octagonal body shape.
I checked my scrap box and found some 26mm wheelsets and OZARK journal/pedestals. Together with some brass profiles, the chassis was built within a few minutes. But than, it become much more difficult and complex…
Finally, it become so complex, that I missed to take photos during the build. The prototype seems to be built from a metal frame, planked with wooden boards from the inside. A very difficult design to use in 1:19 (16mm) scale. So I started to work out a sandwich-construction. Base for the car body is 2mm plywood, used for the floor and walls. They got screwed together with brass angles. Once the base was done, I glued thin wood planks to the car body and added more brass profiles to create the frame under the car.
Last challenge was to add the slim frame-work. I was pretty sure that glue would not hold them in place for long time, so I decided to “blind-solder” them from the back. the profiles are self made from 0.3mm brass sheet and I drilled holes through the brass and car body. Then I inserted brass nails from the inside, soldered them to the profiles on the outside and filed them flush. I think this will be the best way. I just finished one side, so I’ve to spend some more work to get all the brass profiles applied.