Posts by date

Dooh !!

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 24 March 2020 with 8 Comments

Hello my friends,

on the agenda for this week was the final report about the hand brakes on my disconnects. But unfortunately, something came in between… Or more in detail, my thumb came in between the workpiece and mill…

But don’t worry, the wound is clean and cures well so far. But it would be good for me to keep slow for some while.

Best regards, stay at home, stay healthy, enjoy your model trains, and watch your fingers ;-)

Your Waldbahner.

[MLC] Brakes for the disconnects

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 17 March 2020 with 1 Comment

Hello folks,

after a short break, I’m back to work on the brakes of my old 5″-gauge logging disconnects, which are in use as trucks under my new 42mm-scale logging cars.

Since I couldn’t find matching brake shoes in my scale, I decided to create my own. I had some brake shoes from my 1:20.3 railroad which I recreated in 1:7,2 scale for 3D-printing. As I was going to order 60 brake shoes, I was looking for a reliable price and finally decided to use PA-12 plastic which might be a no-go, but is a good compromise for me. All other parts are made from wood and steel as usual.

After painting the brake shoes black, made the wooden brake beams from beech. I used the milling machine to achieve the same shape to all 26 beams. Once stained to match the color of the old cars, I started to add the hardware.

One challenge was to find the matching hardware to attach the brake gear to the car frames. Finally I found metal pipe clamps and square-rings for carrying straps. As is needed several dozen pieces of each, I was happy to use ready-made parts.

The last photo above shows the direct comparison with and without brakes attached. It’s awesome how much such a detail can add to the overall look of a model, especially in such a large scale. Step-by-step my 12 years old toy-like disconnect design starts to turn into some realistic model train car.

In the next blog, I’ll continue with the brake rigging and gear.

[LVLC] First MoW train on the garden railroad

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 10 March 2020 with 3 Comments

Hello garden railroaders,

last weekend, Shay #6 headed out into the woods with a short MoW train. After the winter break, the MoW crew was looking for bad spots on the main line which will need repairs before the new season will start. Fortunately, there are only small issues along the tracks. Additional, the track gang made surveys for new track extensions which might be build this year as well to reach new stands of fresh timber. So stay tuned for later updates during the year.

When the train returned in the late afternoon, the Shay was turned on the wye before heading down to Ronja Springs.

Regards, Gerd

[MLC] How I make multiple identical parts

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 25 February 2020 with 1 Comment

Hello, this week, I like to share some techniques I use to make multiple identical parts for projects on my model trains. Instead of using modern laser cutting, I try the good old way when possible, as long as the number of parts needed is not to high. Let’s start with a couple of sheet […]

[MLC] First operation of Forney #2 after overhaul

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 18 February 2020 with 4 Comments

Hello folks, after finishing the overhaul maintenance on the Forney, the next goal was a test run with some heavy train loads to check if the new-made smoke box door as well as the new seals are improving the performance of the loco. The best opportunity was given by the nearby “Dampflokfreunde Karlsruhe”. The track […]

[MLC] More overhaul work on Forney #2

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 11 February 2020 with 1 Comment

Hello folks, today I’ve some updates from my large-scale Moody Lumber. I spend some work on my Forney #2, since I had a list of overhaul-tasks for three winters now. Since I build and installed the new axle water pump, the loco is back in service, but I had issues with steam and fire during […]

[CFF] Krauss loco part 3

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 4 February 2020 with 4 Comments

Welcome back to the last chapter of the Krauss loco for now. First, I uploaded 3 more photos showing the loco under construction in total. Before I glued the plastic sheets together, I sanded each of them on both sides, to get a good surface for the paint. I used spray cans on this project […]

[CFF] Krauss part 2

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 28 January 2020 (Comments Closed)

Let’s continue with the second part. As already written in the last week, I had some trouble regarding the battery pack. Finally, two separate ideas solved this issue. The whole body shell, including boiler, water tanks and cab, will be one unit, which can be lifted from the chassis. This will give access to the […]

[CFF] The beginning of my new Krauss loco

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 21 January 2020 with 4 Comments

In early 2019, I bought a used „Frank S.“ loco from LGB on eBay to model the HF110c loco of the French „Abreschviller logging railroad“. But soon I realized, that I was going to spread myself to far into different railroads topics, so I canceled the project just right in time. But what to do […]

New year, new projects…

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 14 January 2020 with 4 Comments

Hello and welcome back here on my logging railroad blog. I hope you had a good start into 2020 and I which you all the best and a happy new year. This year will bring some new projects and ideas, but also some changes. After posting weekly on this blog, I’ll try monthly and/or progress-related […]