after upgrading the old disconnects with functional brakes at the beginning of the year, I decided to spend an upgrade on the flat cars as well.
The design was quickly created from a few roof battens and hardware from the DIY-store. Especially the origin stake pockets didn’t fit well, especially since I changed the scale. So I made a new, more prototypical design in 3D and ordered them printed in PA-plastic as I did with the brake shoes.
I started with painting the new parts in freight-car-brown. A bigger challenge was to fond the correct spacing as well as the final rebuild of the cars. First I removed the old pockets and screws. I plugged the holes with wood dowels and painted them over.
Since the deck boards are wider than the frame. I had to made cutouts above the new pockets. Fortunately, this was easy doing with a Japanese saw and fretsaw.
The new holders, now 6 on each side, were then assembled with short bolts and square nuts. The difference is significant and the cars won by character and prototype-plausibility.
The other 4 cars will be converted next. Afterwards, I might start with a set of Gondola-sides for one of the flatcars which is on my wish-list for a long time.