First page of the Workreports archive.

Trackwork at Karlsruhe

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 29 September 2020 (Comments Closed)

Hello folks,

I got a call end of last week if I could help to lay some tracks at the club layout. So, I went down to the club yesterday and joined Jonas to get a removed section of track back in place. The real railroad beside got new cable ducts, so we had to remove some rails to allow access to the working side. Since the location of the cable ducts has changed as well, we re-arranged the turnouts to fit the new space.

In the end, this took much more time as estimated, but once the final train of ballast was in, the gap was closed again. At least for the last two events this year. Some sections, including a turnout, got damaged by the machines used by the working crew, so we’ll have to spend some more work in the winter month to get everything back in smooth condition.

Bye, Gerd

[MLC] Gondola #17 & stakes

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 7 July 2020 with 2 Comments

Hi folks,

another week has passed and here’s fresh painted Gondola #17 ready for first service.

I also made a couple of stakes for my flatcars. the short ones are used as stop blocks when hauling logs on the flatcars. I made 20 of them, to equip each car with 4 such stakes.

To make things easier, I used ready cut square-timbers and “dowel-glued” them to twigs. This went much faster then trying to cut the twigs to matching size.

Additional, I made a full set of long stakes.

Having completed my Flatcars rebuilds, I’ll switch back to the smaller large scale, meaning 45mm gauge. I’ve some new equipment for the Louise Valley Lumber in the works and I also plan a new loco-building-project starting this summer, incl. a whole new railroad company.

[MLC] Gondola #18

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 30 June 2020 with 2 Comments

While the flatcars are done, it’s time to start another project, which got postbonded several times in the past. Building a set of Gondola walls to fit on one of the flatcars. So I ordered screws and nuts and bought some timber from the DIY store. Usually I cut my own timbers from cheap roof […]

[MLC] Flatcars part 2

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 23 June 2020 (Comments Closed)

Hi folks, within the last days, I finished the upgrade on all flatcars. In between, I spend a day at the club layout in Karlsruhe to run a short freight train with Shay #2. Together with a good friend, we made point-to-point operation on single track with halfway passing siding and time table. It was […]

[MLC] Further improvments to my logging flatcars

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 16 June 2020 with 1 Comment

Hi, after upgrading the old disconnects with functional brakes at the beginning of the year, I decided to spend an upgrade on the flat cars as well. The design was quickly created from a few roof battens and hardware from the DIY-store. Especially the origin stake pockets didn’t fit well, especially since I changed the […]

[MLC] Tree faller saws and peaveys

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 9 June 2020 with 3 Comments

Hello logging railroaders, what would be a logging railroad without loggers and their tools? As I model in a scale of 1:7.2 (42mm scale) I’ve to build most of the details parts on my own as well. Today we’ll start with a pair of peaveys, used to handle and load logs in the woods. The […]

[MLC] Brake rigging and final assembly

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 14 April 2020 with 3 Comments

Hi logging railroaders, today, I like to share the last part of the brake installment on my 5″-gauge rolling stock. The last report featured the brake beams and shoes, now it’s time to get them connected to the brake gear. To determine the length of the brake rigging, I used threaded rods first. The final […]

[MLC] Brakes for the disconnects

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 17 March 2020 with 1 Comment

Hello folks, after a short break, I’m back to work on the brakes of my old 5″-gauge logging disconnects, which are in use as trucks under my new 42mm-scale logging cars. Since I couldn’t find matching brake shoes in my scale, I decided to create my own. I had some brake shoes from my 1:20.3 […]

[MLC] How I make multiple identical parts

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 25 February 2020 with 1 Comment

Hello, this week, I like to share some techniques I use to make multiple identical parts for projects on my model trains. Instead of using modern laser cutting, I try the good old way when possible, as long as the number of parts needed is not to high. Let’s start with a couple of sheet […]

[MLC] More overhaul work on Forney #2

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 11 February 2020 with 1 Comment

Hello folks, today I’ve some updates from my large-scale Moody Lumber. I spend some work on my Forney #2, since I had a list of overhaul-tasks for three winters now. Since I build and installed the new axle water pump, the loco is back in service, but I had issues with steam and fire during […]