First page of the Garden Railroad archive.

All about my Fn3 scale garden railroad

[Mogul] Fixing the tender body

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 15 January 2019 with 1 Comment

Hello,

I couldn’t stop working on the tender so I continued with the tender body. I sandblasted the tender shell to remove all the paint. This makes any soldering action easier and allows some changes to the tender design. The paint was very sticky and it took me some while to get it off. Parallel to the sandblasting, I painted the tender frame, and let the paint rest to dry.

On the tender, I relocated the rear hand rails from the side, into the bend, just as on the front end. First I soldered new rails in place, afterwards, I snipped the old ones off and filed them flush with the tender shell. Before that, I un-soldered the tender brackets, which will get relocated as well, while my tender frame is narrower then the original one.

Another task was to fill in the holes in the tender shell. I mad small plugs on the lathe and soldered them into the holes. Then I sanded them flush with the tender shell on both sides. Once these are sandblasted and painted again, they wont be visible.

The fixed tender body does look much better now. As the inner parts of the original tender were no longer useful, I removed them and decided to install a wooden interior to the tender. But before that, I made two new brass sheets to cover the front deck of the tender tank. Here you can see the tender brackets back in place at a right angle to the tender ends.

As said above, the new tender interior is made from plywood. I epoxied two blocks of 1/2″ plywood at the far ends into the brass shell. Later I added the top from 2mm plywood.

The whole wooden part will be hidden by the coal bunker above, so I’m happy with this solution. At the rear end of the tender, I placed the air tank, which was originally located under the cab. I use several Colorado & Southern Moguls for inspiration on this project. There are still lots of details missing and paint off course.

Gerd

[Mogul] New tender frame

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 8 January 2019 with 2 Comments

Hello,

as announced last week, I did some work on the tender. My first plan was to rebuild the original tender frame but I got to the conclusion, that it might be much easier to build a new frame from wood instead.

The new frame is longer and narrower than the original one. I’ll go to model the new tender to the style and type of the tender on my Bachmann C-19.

From the original frame, I salvaged all detail parts and attached them on the new frame. The bolsters got cut to get  longer wheelbase. The rear foot board was made from brass.

And here’s the new loco so far. I really like the longer tender together with the shorter wheelbase on the loco. It changes the overall look so well.

In the meantime, I got the RC components so I can continue work on the loco as well.

Gerd

[Mogul] Brake rigging and cylinders

Posted by Gerd on Wednesday, 2 January 2019 with 1 Comment

The new year has just started and here’s the first progress report. I modified and reinstalled the original brake rigging to match the new wheelbase of the chassis. Since there’s plenty of room below the cab where the rear driver was original located, I made two typical brake cylinders from brass and mounted them to […]

New year steam-up 2019

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 1 January 2019 with 2 Comments

A happy new year !!

Christmas steam 2018

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 25 December 2018 with 2 Comments

Hello my friends, I wish all of you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. This year christmas eve, we had a small family meet and some officially maiden runs on the new garden railroad. I look forward to get the rest of the line build in 2019 as well as some of the […]

[Mogul] Wheelbase shortened

Posted by Gerd on Sunday, 23 December 2018 with 1 Comment

Hello, I can report success on the wheelbase-change of my Mogul. Right after my last post, I grabbed the angle-grinder and started to cut out the new slot for the rear set of drivers. Once the rough cutting was done, I filled the slot to final size and smoothed out the edges to get a […]

[Mogul] Starting the rebuild

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 18 December 2018 with 1 Comment

Hi, starting this week, I’ll report the progress of my Mogul-rebuild. Once the loco arrived at my home, I tested the loco with compressed air first, followed by a steam-up to check if everything was working fine. As the loco was performing well on the workbench, I brought her out to the garden railroad for […]

A new loco on the Southern Palatinate Railway

Posted by Gerd on Sunday, 16 December 2018 with No Comments

Hello, today I don’t have logging-related news, but good news anyway. I got a livesteam Accucraft Mogul as a bargain from eBay. The loco and especially the tender needs some attention/rebuilt, but at least, the steam part is working great. As last year on my Resita project, I’ve a long list with things to be […]

How I add custom lettering to my model trains

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 20 November 2018 (Comments Closed)

Hello, I got asked a few times, how I custom letter my garden railroad trains. So here’s a short description of the technique I use. The last days, I finished my rolling stock for the “Southern Palatinate Narrow Gauge Railway”. I use CorelDraw and a stencil-type font to create the text I need. In my […]

Trainspotting at Ronja Springs

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 6 November 2018 with 1 Comment

Good morning, today there’s not much to read, but something to watch – enjoy ;-) Bye, Gerd