Hello my friends,
last week, we were on y short vacation trip through Germany, so there was no time for my logging railroads. BUT, there are some news anyway, since I got a parcel from UK yesterday, containing my first Deltang components. Deltang offers several items and modules to create Radio-Controlls for several model related purposes, including model trains.
I ordered two transmitter Tx22 (as kit) as well as some Rx65c-22 receivers. The receivers are very small and provide an H-bridge (ESC) up to 3Amps, directional lightning and several function outputs. All components and outlets can be customized and reprogrammed. Compared to the 20-year-old Locolink-stuff, the Deltang-pieces are very small. As usual on 2.4GHz RC, the receiver and transmitter are bind together to create the RC connection. More details on the Deltang components are shown in several Youtube videos. Here are some comparison shots with my outdated Locolink-stuff (which was futuristic equipment, 20 years ago).
I assembled the first transmitter yesterday in the evening and I simply swapped the receiver in my Shay #5. There’s no word to describe the feeling between old and new… it’s simply awesome. While the Locolink only had “a few” throttle steps, Deltang provides smooth operation on lowest speed and finest throttling. The Locolink was a “send&pray” kind of RC, since often a send command did not arrive the receiver unit and therefore there was some delay within the control. This was especially bad on switching trains. But with the new Deltang-RC, it’s possible to operate the train to the point. The upper right pot provides a manual inertia control for smooth starting and stopping trains. it can be adjusted as needed or turned off during switching operation. The upper left rotary-switch is for the “Selecta”-function. Up to 12 locos can be bound to one transmitter and controlled individually by selecting the number. Additional, the receiver provides functions for lightning and others, like sound.
During this week, I’ll go to refit all the other locos and to assemble the second transmitter. I look forward to share some more experiences next week.
today I’ve some news from Ronja Springs. The Woods Furniture building got the company name added to the roof as well as a stone basement to raise the structure to the height of the boxcars.
The letters were cnc-milled from styrene, the girders milled from PVC-foam-board. I used some T-profiles as well. All parts got glued together with plastic-cement.
To get the freight door to the same height as the boxcar floor, I added a 2″ high basement from PVC sheets. I got a sheet with stone engraving which I cut into 2″ high strips.
I also added the short wooden loading platform, which will get some wooden support structures later (parts not milled yet). Here’s the finished structure at Ronja Springs.
While I cut some more strips of the stone engraved PVC, I also made a 1″ high team track platform.
And don’t think we wouldn’t play with our railroad as well ;-)
Hello folks, I had some trouble and issues with my original layout designs and after dozens of other ideas, I’m pretty sure that I now have the best trackplan for my personal garden logging railroad. Once I got rid off all the stupid ideas I had as well as faulty compromises, I ended with a […]
Let’s go to part two of the furniture works. I rearranged the walls of the building from the original idea to a 2×4 pattern, which fits better into the space I have available. The first ideas came out to big in my opinion. The two wall segments without windows got cut on the table saw […]
Good morning, since I’m still unsure about the final layout plan in the upper garden, I spend some more attention to Ronja Springs. At the right loading spur, I announced some industry. So let’s get started. Piko had a special offer for the furniture works “Franz Huber” (aka Mr. Mann’s Cannery). Since the space allows […]
Hello friends, today I’ll show you the first stretch of track reaching from the raised station Ronja Springs to the upper meadow of our garden. The first grade has 3.5% and is 11 meters long. The line leads into the upper meadow and through an S-curve to the right of the garden. This is where […]
Hello, once the first buildings/facilities were done, I directly moved on to build the station building for “Ronja Springs”. This time, I focused more on the joy of building, so I don’t have much “in progress” photos. I build the Pola kit mostly to the plan, but I cut off the rear section of the […]
Hello, this week I like to show you the first structures for the station of “Ronja Springs”. I already bought the kit for the water tank some month ago, even before I started on the garden railroad. I got it cheap on eBay. The kit is produced by Piko and represents a Rio Grande Southern […]
Hello, I’m proud to tell that the first tracks are laid on my new garden railroad. As mentioned before, I covered the whole wooden base structure with roofing felt to reduce water on top of the wood. Later I’ll add some “ground scenery” from dirt and gravel, so waterlogging would be bad for the plywood […]
Hello again and welcome to the first report of my garden railroad build. Last week, I went directly to the DIY shop near by and got a car full of stuff. I use weatherproof plywood and laminated timbers. All raw surfaces as well as cutting edges got sealed with elastic acrylic paint to keep water […]