First page of the Workreports CFF archive.

[CFF] Romanian railbus

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 5 March 2019 with 2 Comments

The last week, I showed you the logging railroad by Tobias. Afterwards I had a look into old photos of my first logging railroad and realized, that I’ve lost my original principles in modelling logging railroads during the last years.

Back in time, logging railroads meant to do something wired, outside of rules, eras and scale art, it was more some kind of “cheeky”, “crazy” and “rebellion”. Well, and then I found a LGB railbus in the classifieds of eBay…

Being “cheeky”, it had some analogy with the railbus used on the Moldovita line and in the next second “crazy” took the scepter and I bought the railbus. Once arrived, he came in contact with my “rebellion”… First I cleaned the gear boxes from old grease and replaced the electric stuff with Deltang and battery. As my layout features 4′ minimum radius, I locked the swinging gear boxes in place.

I added new coupler mounts to the frame with my own CFF-couplers and some rail guards. The body itself got only a few changes. I removed all the lettering and installed some compartment for the battery with bull’s-eye windows.

After just 2 days, the new railbus was ready for first service. Now I’ve a battery-powered loco in addition to my live steam Resita. Maybe I’ll build another steam loco with battery power as well? It would round the roster very nicely.

BTW, the railbus is very strong and can haul 4 loaded log cars up the hill with ease. The railbus at Moldovita was also used to haul log trains along the plain sections of the line.

AND I’ve to admit that I had so much fun kitbashing this railbus. Maybe my “logging railroad rebellion” just needed some refresh ;-)

[CFF] Completing the rail-car

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 5 June 2018 with 1 Comment

Hi,

today I’ll show you the second part of the rail-car. As announced in the last post, I made a new trailing truck from brass and small 18mm wheelsets. As before, I used photos of the car at Commandau as reference. The truck can be taken apart by screws to insert the wheelsets after painting.

At the car, I added a bolster to take the front truck. From the scrapbox, I took a pair of old couplers which are used as buffers. Below the side doors, a step from brass will help to climb into the car.

Once the driver was glued in place, I screwed on the body shell and gave the whole car a nice weathering. Once I can acquire some tools and crates, I’ll add some load to the trunk of the car.

Cheers, Gerd

[CFF] A rail-car for the logging railroad

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 29 May 2018 (Comments Closed)

Hello again, I’m proud to report the last batch of logging trucks (disconnects) done. Over all I made 12 pairs of them and I can’t imagine to make more of them ;-) 8 pairs are used as logging disconnects to haul logs, 2 pairs are used as trucks on the flat car, another pair below […]

[CFF] log loads and storage boxes

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 15 May 2018 with 1 Comment

Hello, last week I spend some attention to the storage and transport of my new garden railroad rolling stock. Since I got some more cars together now, it’s not the best way to just set them into crates for storage and transport. So I bought some sturdy plastic boxes and added wooden stop blocks to […]

[CFF] Updates on my romanian cars and live steam meet at Schramberg

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 8 May 2018 (Comments Closed)

Hi folks, another week has passed with lot’s of activities. First of all, I made an interior for my tool box, which was on my to-do-ist for a long time. The wooden tool box comes from the home store, while I added the compartment setup for all the tools and stuff I need to operate […]

[CFF] Flatcar rebuild… or is it a new construction?

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 3 April 2018 with 1 Comment

Another week is overĀ  and here’s the report on my flat cars as announced. These two cars are left over form my very first logging railroad and for some nostalgica, I was looking to use them on the new railroad as well. Since the trucks got modernized together with the other log cars I showed […]

[CFF] Bulk production of log car trucks

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 27 March 2018 with 1 Comment

Welcome back to part to on the Romanian log cars. Last week, I should you the pre-production sample and now I’m ready for the bulk production. The first series includes 8 pairs, which makes 16 single trucks. To make live easier, I built all parts first, before I later go for the assembling. I started […]

[CFF] Log cars for the Resita – the design phase

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 20 March 2018 with 1 Comment

Hello, after my short intermezzo with Hon30, I’m right back on the garden railroad, since the new season will start soon and my Resita needs some rolling stock. In the video of the Resita from last december, there are already some cars shown and in the following posts, I like to show you the details […]

[CFF] The Resita is ready to run !!

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 16 January 2018 with 5 Comments

Hello, the last work is done on the Resita and the loco is ready to run. Beside the paint on the cab, I added some last details as well, like the oil pump on the right hand cylinder or the sucker-pipe to take water. I used a white crayon to add the washed trim on […]

[CFF] The Resita is nearly done

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 9 January 2018 (Comments Closed)

Hello again, this might be the forelast report until the Resita is finished. After the successful test runs under steam, I installed the RC-components. I use 4 channels for reverse gear, steam valve, whistle and brake. The brake was added subsequently, after I noticed that I need one to slow down the train on downward […]