A small 009 adventure
it’s time to show the third part of the Kerr-Stuart loco.
Today’s post shows the cab and changes I did. Since the die cast cab adds a lot of weight to the back of the loco, I had issues to keep the overall balance. I added lead pieces to the side tanks. The right block is made from styrene and will hold the screws to mount the cab to the frame.
Once the inside walls were glued to the water tanks, I filled the gaps with putty and filed the open section flat. Next, I removed the rear coal bunker. As I had to lengthen the back wall down to the frame, I used styrene again, so reduce weight at this end.
I also replaced the die cast roof with thin sheet metal. All parts are glued together with epoxy and I used putty on all gaps to get a smooth body shell.
Since white metal doesn’t hold paint very well, I spend a coat of primer first before painting the loco in oxide red. I used the airbrush for most painting work. The black sections are hand-painted with a pencil. I also made a special lining-pencil and hand-painted the yellow lining. It took me some while and I had to correct it a couple of times, but finally, I’m very happy with the result. A final clear coat secures the paint.
At least, here’s a photo from the underside, showing the loading-socket at the top left. The center-slot is connected to plus, while the outers are minus. Therefore, it’s equal which was the plug is connected. Opposite to the socket is a tiny SMD-power-switch. The switch is wired that way, that the loco has to be turned off to load the battery. Additional the battery includes a saftey-PC-board to protect the battery from damage.
The used battery features 90mAh and lasts for 80 minutes continuous running. Charging with an external charger takes approx. 50 minutes.
Next post will show my new homemade Deltang transmitter I made to operate the small 009 locos.
Hello again and let’s continue with part 2.
The kit provided by Five79 is designed to fit a N-scale chassis. To make room for the motor, the boiler is missing the lower portion. Since the motor on the Minitrains-chassis will be located in the cab, I made a new full-size boiler from brass. I milled a grove into the boiler to take the LiPo battery. All the RC-components will be fully hidden in the final loco.
When spending attention to the sand dome, I realized that the shape is more oval than round. A few minutes later, a new sand dome was finished on the lathe from brass. To close the rear of the smokebox and to keep the boiler on height at the rear end, I soldered two pieces of brass into milled slots and filed them to shape. The smokebox is the only original boiler part so far.
The stack was the next part to be made new from brass. The stack features a threated 2mm shaft to be screwed into the MT chassis. This holds the boiler in place as common on many Minitrains steam locos. The stack saddle and stack ware made from brass again.
And while spending so much work into a new boiler, it would be a shame to stop when it comes to details. So, I added sand pipes, levers and blower pipe from wire. The check valves are included in the kit, but got new pipes attached.
The next post will show the work I spend on the cab and water tanks.
Hi folks, six years ago, I got the chance to buy a rare Brian Caton live steam loco in 009-scale. I once saw his great little engines in action more than 20 years ago on a convention, but I was never able to get one. Since than, my little “Jupiter” was running solo either on […]
Hello my friends, I hope you had a good start into 2021. I wish you all the best and especially health!! Those who are also following me on youtube might have seen the video below already. In the upcomming weeks, I’ll share more details about the new little loco and it’s features. I’ll also spend […]
Hello fellows, after my small break here, to exhibit my trolley layout, I’m back on my logging railway projects. First, I cleaned up the workshop, but I didn’t feel in the mood to continue directly with my large-scale trains. So I finished another long time project, which was on my wish list for many month. […]
Hi folks, I made a video of my new 009 live steam loco during a steam-up yesterday to show the steps and the operation of the loco. More photos of the loco and some details are also posted to the menu on top. You can also follow this link. Enjoy :-)
Hello, the logging railroad Eusserthal (WBE) is proud to present the newest locomotive in the engine shed. I could by this little 0-4-0 saddle tank engine on y convention last weekend. The special thing is – it’s a live steam locomotive !! Brian Caton from GB made round about 40 of these little gems and […]