Posts by date

A new motor for the Climax

Posted by Gerd on Sunday, 23 November 2014 with 1 Comment

I made a list of To-Dos for my new Flying Zoo Climax. One of the first points was, to replace the open frame motor by a coreless motor. I got some 1016 Faulhaber motors on ebay for cheap money.

First I took the shell of what is very easy if you know where the screws are. Since the gear tower and motor holder are screwed together with the motor, it was necessary to make an adapter for the new motor. This adapter was cnc milled from 1mm brass and glued to the front of the motor.

The next challenge was the different diameter of the motor shafts. The new one has 0.8mm while the gear has a 1.5 bore. I used 1×0.1 and 3x1mm brass tube and made an adapter. The gear was pressed on the shaft adapter and this assembly to the motor shaft. Since the new motor is a bit longer than the old one, I had to remove the tender tank to install the new one.

I hoped to get the whole engine quieter by replacing the open frame motor. In the end, the “sound” is mostly the same. Most of it comes due to the brass construction and the whole gear drive. Anyway,the loco runs very smooth with the new motor in place. The video below shows test runs before and after the motor change.

Next is to regauge the wheelsets to get the loco running on 9mm track.

Riding car #1 is done

Posted by Gerd on Friday, 21 November 2014 (Comments Closed)

Today, I got some more spare time to finish the riding car #1.

I cut bolsters from wood and assembled the trucks after I spray painted the archbar side frames.

I added new king pins to the car and mounted the new trucks. At least I reinstalled the cleaned water tank and the car is finish for the next operation day.

Now I’ve time for the next project.

Bye, Gerd

2″-scale riding car #1 gets new trucks

Posted by Gerd on Friday, 21 November 2014 with 1 Comment

Hi folks,

I had another evening in the BCL&RR car shops and did good progress on the trucks for riding car #1. I bought raw parts from earlier this year and finally decided to use them under the riding car. The wheelbase of the trucks is actually to large, but in the end it seems to work.

I had to drill a lot of holes and that was the reason why I didn’t start earlier with this project. Finally I used stop blocks on my milling machine and it works so good, that totally missed to take photos. I assembled the archbar side frames for a first test fit.

Next I’ve to make the bolster from wood and finally the new kingpins below the car to get this project finished.


New geared steamers for my Hon30 US roster

Posted by Gerd on Monday, 17 November 2014 with 1 Comment

Hello, this morning, I picked up my 2014 christmas gift at the customs office. This wounderfull Climax was build by Sugiyama in Japan and imported to the states by Flying Zoo. They are hard to find and even more mystic than the Joe Works Shays. I’m happy and proud to have one in my collection […]

2″-scale riding car #2 in the car shops

Posted by Gerd on Sunday, 16 November 2014 (Comments Closed)

Hello, after a long time in Hon30 modeling, I take a break for some 2″-scale projects. The big indoor steam meet in Karlsruhe will start next January and I’ve some issues with my riding cars to operate the steam locomotives. During the 2014 season, both cars had issues with the trucks/wheelsets and both are out […]

The big log train movie

Posted by Gerd on Sunday, 9 November 2014 with 4 Comments

Well, it’s finally done… after 4.5 hours of work and from 50 minutes of raw material, I finally got a 14 minutes movie about my Hon30 logging railroad. Unfortunatlity I forgot to make photos along the videos. Anyhow… maybe at the next operation session. As they are shown in the movie, here are some details […]

One module can change the world multiple times…

Posted by Gerd on Friday, 7 November 2014 with 1 Comment

Hi folks, I plan to build two storage boxes for my Hon30 modules. To get both boxes the same size and to store the modules equal, I’ve some room left for another 2′ module. The most flexibility would give a module than can be added on each D-type joint. Therefore I spend some thoughts about […]

Gerd’s Eleven

Posted by Gerd on Monday, 3 November 2014 with 2 Comments

Hello, I made a short video to show you the 11 different layouts that I can set up from my Hon30 logging railroad modules. Enjoy :-)