Posts by date

[BCRR] – New Archbar Trucks ??

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 31 May 2016 with 1 Comment

Hello,

I spend some thoughts on new trucks for my bogie freight cars. The two I have were originally designed to run on pairs of disconnects and got simple made archbar trucks some while ago. During my recently started redesign of my railroad, I like to add two more 8-wheel freight cars and therefore I’m in need of additional trucks. I did some research on plans of Yosemite Short Line and Maine Two Foot rolling stock and came to the conclusion, that my existing truck design would fit my new goals I have in mind…

But how to make prototypical archbar trucks. Especially those journal boxes were an issue in my thoughts. For making Castings, I need a good model and at least, I’m not able to make my own castings. Making them from stock material is a mess if you have a total of 32 pieces to go…

One or two weeks ago, I visited another model railroader and he showed my wonderful pieces on his 2.5″ rolling stock made by 3D-printing. I was impressed by the strength and some days later, I got the idea to print the whole journal boxes. So I made a 3D-model of such a journal box by using details from the drawings and existing parts. It’s 31mm high and 28mm wide, designed to take a 8x22x7 ball bearing. It will be hold in place by two 4mm bolts. I added my own BCR letters to the lid.

The typical arch bars will be bend from 12x3mm flat bar and the bolster section will be made from multiplex plywood. The springs were fake dummies only and I’ll use a 3-point-cushion on the frames underside.

These are my thoughts so far on the new trucks. I would need four pairs, but when I look at the 3D-model, I can’t wait to start. One journal box will cost less than 9,-€ which is totally okay for me. I’ll go to order some soon for testing.

Cheers, Gerd

[BCRR] Forney rebuild – part 7

Posted by Gerd on Sunday, 29 May 2016 (Comments Closed)

Hello,

the past couple days, I’ve spend some work on the Forney here and there. I replaced the old head light bracket from aluminium by a new one from sheet steel.

The front doors of the cab has been build separate when I made the cab several years ago, but I glued them in place for what reason ever. Anyway, I broke them loose and finally installed them with hinges as it was originally planed. Parallel to this work, I glued the roof back in place where it came loose.

Another Idea that I had in my mind all the years was to repaint the cab in black. I was still unsure, until I started work and I’ve to say, that this was one of the best ideas I had to this loco. It looks much better now, more like a model train and less “Disney”-style…

Once the cab was back in place, I added the last pieces and details. Now, the loco is ready for a first test run and back in operational condition. Only the lettering is missing. I’ll make new stencils and air-brush them on this week.

Cheers, Gerd

[BCRR] Forney rebuild – part 6

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 24 May 2016 (Comments Closed)

Good morning,

yesterday I had good support in my workshop by my model building friend and steam locomotive expert Sven from Dresden. Together we build a new steam manifold for the boiler back head from brass. The parts were machined on the lathe and mill and finally silver soldered to form the new manifold. Once the steam pipes were also connected, we made a pressure-test with compressed air and we were very happy with the result. We couldn’t find any leakage so far.

The new manifold is much smaller as the old one, which was made from a single piece of brass on the lathe. Now, the technical part of the steam locomotive is finished and the remaining parts are only cosmetic and detail stuff.

[BCRR] Forney rebuild – part 5

Posted by Gerd on Friday, 20 May 2016 (Comments Closed)

Yesterday, I had the last work session for this week. I spend 2 hours to adjust and install the water pipes between the tender tank and the boiler. With the water piping done, only the steam piping has to be overhauled to get the loco technical back into working condition. I’ve to add a new […]

[BCRR] Forney rebuild – part 4

Posted by Gerd on Thursday, 19 May 2016 (Comments Closed)

Good morning, since “Grey’s Anatomie” isn’t my favorite show on TV, I spend another evening in the BCRR workshops. First of all, I’ve made a photo of the open frame tank, showing the ballast. I had to remove the top cover to install brackets which will hold the boiler run boards. Unfortunately, I killed some […]