Posts by Gerd:
Hello logging railroaders,
after my drift into the Colorado narrow gauge world during the last weeks, it’s time to return to my favorite logging railroads. The good weather outside motivated also to take the “Louise Valley Lumber Co.” out into the garden to do some operation.
While I was shunting trains in Ronja Springs, I got the idea to switch the scenery. I moved the factory building to the left end, close to the future sawmill area, while the spur at the right was decorated as storage siding. In combination with the logging theme, I like this arrangement very much. I just have to find something between the water tank and the station building. Maybe a freight depot?
The regular logging operation brought several train loads of logs from the upper end of the line down to the mill. I used the wye to shunt trains “in the woods”. I ran all my LVLC locos. At the end of the day, the model train also delivered the first ice-cream in 2019 to the customers ;-)
So the start is done into a new logging season!
Another week has passed and here’s the actual progress. Since I was not able to get a second headlight which matched the already installed one, I decide to make two new headlights from stock. The parts are made on the lathe and mill. To mount the headlight on the tender, I also made a small […]
Hello, today I’ve the latest progress on the tender rebuild. First I added some U channel to the front end of the tender body to add wooden boards which will hold the coal load in place. The coal bunker on top was made from wood and is hold in place by a push-fit. This allows […]
Hello, now the loco is ready for radio control! It took me some time to figure out how and where I could place the servos for the radio control. Finally I found the solution by getting rid of the Johnson bar and turning the reversing-servo upside down. The regulator servo is placed upright and is […]
Well, now it’s time to make some progress on the loco. On top of my list was the water gauge. These early Accucraft locos didn’t have water gauges and since I couldn’t get one in short time, I decided to build my own water gauge from brass and the spare glass tube of my Resita […]
Hello, I couldn’t stop working on the tender so I continued with the tender body. I sandblasted the tender shell to remove all the paint. This makes any soldering action easier and allows some changes to the tender design. The paint was very sticky and it took me some while to get it off. Parallel […]
Hello, as announced last week, I did some work on the tender. My first plan was to rebuild the original tender frame but I got to the conclusion, that it might be much easier to build a new frame from wood instead. The new frame is longer and narrower than the original one. I’ll go […]
The new year has just started and here’s the first progress report. I modified and reinstalled the original brake rigging to match the new wheelbase of the chassis. Since there’s plenty of room below the cab where the rear driver was original located, I made two typical brake cylinders from brass and mounted them to […]
A happy new year !!
Hello my friends, I wish all of you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. This year christmas eve, we had a small family meet and some officially maiden runs on the new garden railroad. I look forward to get the rest of the line build in 2019 as well as some of the […]