BCL&RR – Workreport March 2010

Posted by Gerd on Sunday, 14 March 2010

The last days, I repainted the freight cars, and added some new details. The old design was more like toy train cars instead of “model” trains.

The left photo below shows the old design of these cars before I start the redesign. I painted the couplers, journals and axles black, while the car bodies are painted in a nice brown. I’ll use this paint scheme on all freight cars in the future. Next I made a new roof cover for the boxcar and I painted some hardware in black.

All was done in two evenings and I’m very happy with the result. Next I refreshed also the gondola and water car.

As I build this car a half-year ago, I choose a design shown on the website of Lennart Elg with a simple car body, riding on a pair of disconnects, so I didn’t need new trucks and wheel sets for this car. Meanwhile, I didn’t like this solution as in the beginning. Since one pair of disconnects is used under the car, I’ve only 5 pairs for log trains so set up two strings of log cars isn’t quite possible. Last year, I bought some wheel sets for another car project so I decided to spend new trucks to the crew car.

The trucks are close to very early unsprung wooden trucks, build by Russell Car & Foundry. You can find similar trucks on civil war railroad cars in the USA from the 1870th. The journal boxes have been made from copper caps and steel angle. I milled a hole to match the caps and soldered the parts together.

I cut some roof lathes to 20x20mm and 20x40mm bars to form the truck frames. I glued and screwed the parts together and add some truss rods. All wooden parts have been stained in a grey-brown and the metal parts are painted black. As on the prototype, I added a truss bar between the journal boxes and the truck frame, running from one end down to the cross member and up to the other end of the side frame.

At the car body, I had to replace the bolsters since the new trucks will be placed more to the center of the car and a bit deeper as the disconnects. I also installed a 3-point-support for the trucks to get a smooth running car even on bad tracks. On the end sills, I added some truss rod NBWs (just fake) and the link&pin couplers.

Finally, I cut away the lower step below the door, as the car body rides some cm lower than before.