Welcome back to part to on the Romanian log cars.
Last week, I should you the pre-production sample and now I’m ready for the bulk production. The first series includes 8 pairs, which makes 16 single trucks. To make live easier, I built all parts first, before I later go for the assembling.
I started with painting the white 3D-prints black. On parts I ordered later (like the journal boxes) I ordered them already black painted, which saves time. The log bunks are also 3D-printed. I just add nails upright to hold the log load in place and cnc-milled stakes. The handrail and brake spindle are soldered from brass and steel.
The finished parts were collected for single pairs first, later in stages of building steps, which was much easier to overlook. On a saturday afternoon, I started the final assembly of the trucks, which was done within 4 hours.
Where ever it’s possible, I use jigs and templates to make work easier. I started with assembling the frame segments together with the journal boxes and wheelsets in place. The couplers were pre-assembled two and screwed in place to finish the basic chassis.
The log bunks got painted in the meantime and are now ready for installation. The stakes can be unlocked and folded down to load or unload logs as on the prototype. Once the wooden boards are glued in place, I secured them small brass nails and added the handrail with brake spindle.
Here’s the full fleet of cars. Five pairs are already equipped with log bunks, the 6th set of bunks is on backorder. Two pair of trucks will be used on the flatcars, which I’ll show you next week.
after my short intermezzo with Hon30, I’m right back on the garden railroad, since the new season will start soon and my Resita needs some rolling stock. In the video of the Resita from last december, there are already some cars shown and in the following posts, I like to show you the details and how I made them.
From my first G-scale logging railroad, I still had two flatcars and a workshop car left, which should become a second live on my CFF line behind the Resita.
When I build these cars many years ago, I used LGB tipper car frames, the one with oval shape. While I was waiting of the parts to build the Resita, I collected several of these frames at eBay as a start for new rolling stock, built-in the same manner. But finally, I switched my ideas to more realistic and detailed rolling stock, as my Resita started to become a more detailed model as well.
From my skeleton-logcar-rebuild, I still had several 26mm diam. all-metal wheelsets left, which would fit well under some Romanian style logging disconnects. So I started some designing on the PC. By shortening the frames and adding new couplers and journal boxes, the frames can be rebuilt into nice logging trucks. Not 100% accurate, but very plausible and at least strong and sturdy for rough use on a garden railroad.
First of all, I designed a new coupler. This is basically a smaller version of the standard LGB-loop, combined with a link&pin buffer above. It’s especially designed to fit the oval-frame-chassis and just drop into the original coupler pocket. The hook and spring are also LGB parts. The buffer above the loop hides most of it and the result is nice looking and 100% LGB compatible coupler, which is great for use on the garden railroad.
Next I spend some attention to the frames. I cut off the original bearings and shortened the frame at one end for approx. 11mm. The new journal boxes are 3D-printed as well as the couplers are. I use a drilling jig (3D-print) to bore the holes for the new journal boxes, which came in pairs. By adding brass plates, the frame segments are screwed together and become very strong again.
And here we have the “pre-production” version of the log cars to come. You can see the difference between the original frame and the rebuilded one below. The planks will be cut from real wood and the handrail and brake spindle are added from brass and steel.
Maybe it would be easier to build whole new cars, but as I already have many of the oval-frames and couplers on stock, I’ll keep on this method/type. Overall, I plan to build 24-28 single trucks, which will be used in pairs, not only for disconnect log cars, also as trucks for flat or box cars.
Next week, I’ll tell you more about the mass production.
last weekend, I exhibited my Hon30 forestry railroad layout in Sinsheim/Germany together with the “copied” layout build by Bernd. The new sawmill-module acts as interchange between our layouts and it was the first time, that we combined both together for an eight meters long layout.
We didn’t have any test-setup before, but everything matched together perfectly. It was the first exhibition for Bernd, so he was very excited. But hi did great, even during the official photo-shot.
The interest in our layout was very well. Many knew the layout from the internet, others saw them for the first time and got caught by a totally different concept of model railroading.
As in the last years, the layout was shown in the competition of private home layouts, sponsored and organized by the Miba-magazine. All nine layouts got voted by a jury, composed of model train experts. Despite the high quality of other layouts, the operation, joy and flexibility of our layout concept convinced the jury again. Finally we got honored with 1st place.
Motivated by our success, we’re full of new ideas for the next event.
Hello folks, just in time for the model train show starting on Friday, the new module got finished. I added the backdrop and some small details. I’m very pleased with the result, which turned out better than expected. I’ll build a transport-crate for the new module this week and the whole layout will travel to […]