since I seem to be in “Logcar-buliding-mode” at the moment, I just switched scale and spend some attention on my 1:20.3 skeletons. I original build them with 18′ length to make them suitable on 3′ radius curves. Since I moved on to 4′ radius, I did some test runs if I can enlarge my logcars from 18 to 20′. 20′ log cars are very common for minimum size and they look much better behind the large Bachmann-Shay.
So I took all my courage and cut one car in half to add a connecting centerpiece. It turns out that 20′ cars will still negotiate the 4′ radius S-curves on turnouts, which was one of the most important goals. Therefore, I cut new centerpieces and rebuild all 5 log cars.
I’m very happy with the result and it’s amazing how much this change adds to the character of the cars.
I’ve 3 more pairs of trucks and couplers on the shelf so maybe I’ll step directly into building some more of this cars. On the other hand, I made good progress on the planing for my own garden railroad… Let’s see what I can show you next week.