[CFF] Krauss loco part 3

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 4 February 2020

Welcome back to the last chapter of the Krauss loco for now.

First, I uploaded 3 more photos showing the loco under construction in total.

Before I glued the plastic sheets together, I sanded each of them on both sides, to get a good surface for the paint. I used spray cans on this project for most parts. Once the new build cab and water tanks were permanently attached to the boiler, I could start with all the small details along the boiler top. There I added the water feed valves and piping as well other steam lines and details.

The inside of the cab also got some details. I installed a wooden floor and added firewood and loco crew. The windows got glazing as well.

All loco plates are etched brass and I ordered them custom-made. The builders plate is from a set for an Austrian ‘U’-loco. The white trim on the body is simply made with a white pencil by using a ruler. This worked out well on my Resita.

Another typical detail on such locos is the hose & pump to take water from creeks or ponds to fill up the water tanks. On this loco, it’s possible to connect the hose to the pipe and lay it out to the water source. This may create some nice photo scenes in future.

Last big part was the roof, which is glued on top of the cab to add more stability to the super structure. Final detail parts were the injector under the cab. I ordered brass parts for live steam model detailing, as I couldn’t find any other good-looking parts. And I’m very happy with the result.

The last photo for today shows the loco opened up. The battery is hold in a small box inside the boiler. The body shell is hold down by three 10x10mm Rare-Earth-magnets, which held both sections well together. It’s even possible to carry the whole loco (approx 6lbs) on the cab, but since the crash of my Resita, I don’t experiment too much. Right below the smoke box are three spring-loaded contacts (LGB wheel pickups) which are used to transfer power to the head lights. They will connect to the PC-board inside the smoke box and there are no wires between the chassis and the body shell.

Until today, I didn’t find the right mood to airbrush-weather this loco, so she’s still “fresh paint”. But I look forward to make her “realistic looking” within the next month and to finally add all the small bits and details, which are adding so much to the Romanian logging steam locos.

See you soon.

4 Comments

  • Tobias says:

    Hallo Gerd!

    Wie gelegentlich schon mal erwähnt, eine sehr schöne, markante Waldbahnmaschine ,die Du da gebaut hast. Obgleich ohne konkretes Vorbild, so sieht man doch die “Gene” sehr deutlich.
    Das Feuerungsholz im großen Führerhaus gefällt mir ausgesprochen gut, da ich ja auch solcherlei waldbahntypische Details sehr liebe.

    Viele Grüße,
    Tobias.

  • Frédéric says:

    Große Klasse, Gerd!

    Ich finde die Lösung mit den Magneten absolut pfiffig. Erinnert mich sehr an den Flug-Modellbau, da wird auch gern mit ähnlichen Tricks gearbeitet. Und auch die Federkontakte für die Stromübertragung sind echt saubere Arbeit.

    Was mich wirklich begeistert ist der hohe Grad an Ordnung. Ich habe selten ein so aufgeräumtes Inneres einer Lokomotive gesehen, nicht mal bei käuflich erwerblichen Modellen.

    Und dann ist das Ganze auch noch ein richtiges Schmuckstück geworden. Chapeau!

  • Thomas Pahlke says:

    Ist das eine schöne Lok, absolut gelungen. Herzlichen Glückwunsch, die Arbeit hat sich gelohnt. Echt klasse.