[MLC] More overhaul work on Forney #2

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 11 February 2020

Hello folks,

today I’ve some updates from my large-scale Moody Lumber. I spend some work on my Forney #2, since I had a list of overhaul-tasks for three winters now. Since I build and installed the new axle water pump, the loco is back in service, but I had issues with steam and fire during the last op-sessions.

So I started to investigate the issues and soon found out, that the smoke box door, a simple steel sheet construction, was heavy rosted and didn’t seal the smoke box well. I found a piece of steel in my scrap bin and made a new solid door on the lathe. I later added the hinges from the old door as well as paint.

Another well-known issue were the O-rings in the steam regulator valve. I ordered new rings from red silicon and look forward for the next 20 years of service.

And finally, I was able to rebuild another nightmare I produced back in time, when I rebuild the former Koppel loco into the Forney style engine. The brake rigging. The combination of levers I used was terrible and didn’t work/brake well. After I spend some thoughts, I added a new shaft at the bottom bend of the frame and made new connecting rods and levers. Now the brake is working very strong and I also have better access to the ash-pan.

Well and since I rebuild all my other 5″-gauge trains to 1:7.2-scale, I also did this to the Forney. First in Photoshop, than in real. And what shall I say – I love it. The loco looks more powerful by now and matches so nicely with the Shay. Funny side note, the cab NOW is in correct height for both, 1:7.2-scale as well as 1:6-scale as the original cab was just to high.

Finally, the loco is now back in service and will hopefully perform well during the upcoming steam season, as she’ll take over the main traction on the Moody Lumber this year. While operating the Shay last fall, I spotted some worn parts and other issues on the steam engine so the Shay is temporary out of service and will come to the shop soon of repairs.

Shortly after taking theses photos, I replaced the head light by a smaller version better fitting to 42mm-scale and I painted the white trim black, since I found the trim too toy like.

Next week I’ll share some video footage of the first operation session after the overhaul and how the changes may have improved the power/performance.

Cheers, Gerd

One Comment