Posts by date

[LVLC] Blockcar for firewood

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 28 July 2020 with 1 Comment

During the past two weeks, I made the chassis for my new freight cars. Now I’ll start with the superstructures for each of them car by car.

The first car I made is a blockcar to haul firewood and wood blocks to the camps or steam donkeys. They were not only used for firewood, but also as stop blocks when loading logs. My model is inspired by a car used by the Diamond & Caldor Railway.

As on the frame sills, I cut all timbers from scrap wood. NBWs & hardware are Ozark parts with some pieces of brass as well.

So, first car done, next will be a water tankcar.

 

 

[LVLC] Trucks and couplers

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 21 July 2020 with 2 Comments

Next step is to bring the car frames onto wheels.

I got a couple of die-cast trucks with real springs, originally made by Regner many years ago. Those are the same as on the other cars. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get the same wheelsets, so I mixed in another brand. All parts got a bath in browning fluid before assembling.

One pair of trucks got additional brake gear added from Ozark-parts. They will be used under a new caboose later.

Before I started to glue on the hardware parts to complete the frames, I decided to sand of the wrong wood-stain, which worked astonishing well.

Now I can start with the super structure for each car.

[LVLC] New freight cars for my garden railroad

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 14 July 2020 with 1 Comment

Hi folks,

since my very-large-scale projects are finished, I’ve time to add some more cars in regular-large-scale to my roster, talking about 1:20,3-scale.

My Louise Valley Lumber Co. is going to install a logging camp up in the mountains and is in need of some additional freight cars to serve the camps.

The basic frame is made from 4mm plywood. All timbers for the frame are cut from scrap wood on the bandsaw.

The basic construction is the same as on the existing cars. This way they will match nicely into the roster once finished. The mounts for the trucks are made from brass and other metal parts.

The slots for the Kadee couplers were cut afterwards on the mill to center them correctly. I finally applied some wood-stain, but grabbed the wrong color. It might be to dark for later weathering, as I like to finish them the same way as the other cars.

[MLC] Gondola #17 & stakes

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 7 July 2020 with 2 Comments

Hi folks, another week has passed and here’s fresh painted Gondola #17 ready for first service. I also made a couple of stakes for my flatcars. the short ones are used as stop blocks when hauling logs on the flatcars. I made 20 of them, to equip each car with 4 such stakes. To make […]