Posts by date

[LVLC] New Logcars (part 2)

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 21 May 2019 with No Comments

Let’s continue with the logcars. Unfortunately, I forget to make pictures of the assembling part.

The couplers are screwed to pieces of thin plywood together with the cover plate from brass. This sub-assembly is glued into the pockets at the end of the center beam. the log bunks are also glued into place. all wooden parts were stained with thinned acrylic paint.

Once the glue is dry, the remaining hardware is installed with nails or Ozark-NBWs. The brake wheel and ratched were Ozark parts as well. With the trucks in place, the first car was ready to form a 6-car test train with caboose, freight car and Shay. The train-length looks plausible and will fit very well to my layout.

The following evenings, I assembled the other six cars. Still missing is the airbrush-weathering, which will be done some day in the future. With all new cars finished, I ran the first 12-car-train with Shay #6. Looks pretty cool in the long S-kurve.

 

[LVLC] More Logcars (part 1)

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 14 May 2019 with 2 Comments

Hello,

since the exhibition in Lille has passed, I’m back on my garden railroads. When I introduced my 3-truck Shays some while ago, I noted the need of mode skeleton log cars to run longer trains.

I spend a lot of thinking, using the same pattern from the first cars, or a different one. Finally I decided to make a new pattern based on cars build by Pacific Car & Foundry. The basic dimensions are the same, so I can run all cars together. As I already had 5 cars, I started a new batch of 7 to get a total of 12 cars. This allows two trains of 6 cars, which will fit into the runaround loop at Ronja Springs together with a Shay, caboose and freight car.

As usual, I used bulk-production and made all parts for all 7 cars at the same time/setting.

I first cut pieces from brass sheet for the coupler covers and trusses. Once the edges were cleaned with a file, I clamped a steel angle to the milling machine, aligned it properly and dialed it in relation to the spindle. Now I can simple drill the pilot holes with a center-drill by using the absolute coordinates from the center of the angle. The workpieces are simple exchanged and are aligned by the angle. So it’s very fast and easy to drill repetitive holes in multiple work pieces.

The cover plates above the couplers got some nails and screws added. They are soldered from the back side and filed flush afterwards. The short pieces of rail will become the stop blocks on the log bunks.

The timbers were cut on my table saw from scrap wood and finished on the band saw. the pockets at the ends will hold the Kadee-couplers.

The first setup gives a feeling for the new series of log cars. I still had some more Kadee archbar trucks and couplers on backorder. Once all parts are collected, I’ll start with the final assembly of the cars.

[WBE] “Trainsmania 2019” in Lille

Posted by Gerd on Wednesday, 8 May 2019 with 8 Comments

Hello folks,

a year ago, my friend Bernd was invited to attend the model train exhibition “Trainsmania 2019” in Lille, France. The invitation came from Francois Fontana, head editor of the “Voie Libre” narrow gauge model railroad magazine.

Such an invitation can’t be denied, so Bernd and I started to France last week to show our Hon30-layouts at the exhibition in Lille. The “Trainsmania” is a medium-sized model train show, but had several wonderful layouts and especially lot’s of dealers with small detail parts, laser kits and others. Also on the market stands, there were several exquisite brass models and kits available. And the candy stand with white nougat was also very tempting ;-)

As we traveled to Lille on Thursday, we had set up the whole layout the same day to be prepared for the opening on Friday. As Bernd had his new station “Espagnac” fitted between our layouts, we changed the wiring to use Espagnac as Interchange station between our layouts and power-sections. This resulted in a great layout for switching, operation and the fun of train runs.

We were very surprised by the popularity of our layout at the show on both sides, the visitors as well as the other exhibitors. Even the language-issue, I for myself don’t speak French and Bernd only a little, was no big problem, as we were able to chat in English or German and we met many nice people.

Bernd created a special “show-module” with an acrylic glass plate on top, a Peco turnout, our standard turnout mechanism and the plug/socket connectors installed, which was perfect to show the techniques even without any words.

At the end of the show, Mr. Fontana took photos for an article in the Voie Libre.

Finally, we had a great weekend and model train show. It was so much fun to operate our layout and it’s a good feeling to get so much feedback

On the way back home, we discussed some ideas for future events like higher tables for better sight and especially some solution for proper lighting. There were also some ideas for future layouts.