[LVLC] Shay #5 in the Workshop
today I like to share some update on Louise Valley Lumber Co. Shay #5.
During the last rework, I added 3D-printed replacements for the broken foot boards on the pilot beams. Unfortunately, they didn’t last long. Also, the steps to the cab were broken multiple times and glued back in place, until they broke off again.
Now it’s time to replace them with rigged brass parts. I used the opportunity to make the foot boards at the end beams smaller, as I don’t need the extra wide opening for the regular couplers.
The construction is very simple. I used 12x10x1mm brass L profiles and some 1.5mm thick brass strips. The parts are holt together with small rivets and got soldered as well. Before applying the paint, I spend a quick sandblast.
While I was already working on the loco, I remembered another tweak I had on my list for many years. The previous owner chopped the length of the cab roof. In my opinion the overall proportions don’t look right. At least to me. Fortunately, I got an original replacement roof.
To make the longer roof fit, I had to rearrange the firewood load. I poked a screw driver under the load and it came off very easily. So I moved the wooden create inside the tender further to the back to get more space to lift off the tender shell for access to the batteries. A new firewood load was installed to match the longer roof. Some small parts as the water valve handles are homemade from brass and styrene.
The new firewood pile isn’t “full load” as before, which looks more realistic to me.
At the end, I’m very happy with the new appearance of the loco with it’s original roof. Finally, the loco is ready for the 2021 season.
Sieht sehr gut aus das “Update”. So ähnlich hätte man das im Westen bestimmt auch gemacht: wenn was nicht hält, wird es einfach stabiler gemacht.
Für das längere Dach wird sich der Heizer bestimmt bedanken, wenn er im Regen nicht mehr ganz so nass wird. ;-)
Viele Grüße, Tobias