after the video presentation of last week, here’s the final building log of this micro layout. Each segment is 75mm wide and the backdrop 60mm high, while the track length is approx 3′. To make the backdrop, I searched the internet for a good photo of sandhill forests. With simple graphic tools, I made a long backscene by copy/paste and mirror-function. The backdrop is than printed on sticker paper on a color laser printer to be glued to the backdrop.
Small hills on the layout are created with foam and spackle. The lower portion was milled into the 8mm thick baseboard.
After a coat of acrylic paint, I glued the ties in place and covered them immediately with sand. I use white glue for this step. Further layers of sand are glued down with water/whiteglue-mixture. The rails themself are added once the ground cover was finished. I also sanded the ties flat on top for smooth operation of the log train.
The rails are made from 1×1.5mm basswood and glued down with super glue every 4th tie. I made small gauges from brass to ensure the correct gauge of 9mm.
To add more interesting to the scenery, I made some relief trees from Woodland branches on real wood logs. The stumps are also Woodland white metal castings. With the relief trees, the layout gained more depth. It’s also nice to watch the train passing underneath the leaves.
At the right end of the line, I installed a log deck from timbers and logs.
Finally, I added the vegetation from different FineTurfs and grasses, made by Woodland and Busch.
I used water/whiteglue mixture to glue the turf down and regular glue for bushes and grass. I spend effort to blend the vegetation into the same colors as used on the backdrop.
Well, this was my second Microlayout in 2021. Now it’s time to get back to the larger scales. There’s a full list of ideas and a well filled parts-box on the shelf. At least, the warmer weather calls for mode garden railroading ;-)