Posts by date

Restoring my little JoeWorks Baby-Shay – #2

Posted by Gerd on Friday, 28 March 2014 with 2 Comments

Here’s the second part.

I soldered fine wires to the pickups and mounted the trucks to the chassis. This is the only part that’s irreversible since the original trucks are mounted from the underside, while the new ones are mounted from top. So I screwed the tapped holes to 1.4mm. I also added a hole for the wires of the rear truck. At the front truck, the wires are led through the opening in the frame below the boilers smoke box.

Once the new trucks were installed I made a first test run. After some adjustments, the loco runs very nice. With the new all wheel pickup, I was able to clean the wheels on my wheel brush cleaner and the loco turned into a very good runner.

While the locomotive was dismantled, I took the airbrush and painted all parts in grimy black . While assembling the Shay, I added some more paint for details and DCC with micro LED in the headlight. After finishing all parts, I had a really nice looking little Baby Shay on the tracks, ready for the first service on my new logging railroad. The Shay runs nice, smooth and very slow. The only thing is, that she’s a little bit noise due to the high motor rpm and lot of gears. But that’s okay for me. Therefore I’ve a very cute little Shay on my railroad.

In a couple of weeks, I’ll go to order some new decals sets for my little logging railroad and the Shay will get some decals too. She will become #4.

Restoring my little JoeWorks Baby-Shay – #1

Posted by Gerd on Sunday, 23 March 2014 with 2 Comments

On an US-Railroad Convention in Germany in 2013, I was able to buy this little Hon30 Baby-Shay, made by Joe Works in the early 1980th. It was clear to me that the loco would need some touches to get her running and for sure some nice paint. But this version with straight boiler is pretty rare and I like her much more than the T-boiler Shays, produced later by Joe Works. These can be found on eBay but straight boiler Baby-Shays are rare…

The loco is made from brass as usual by Joe Works. As usual too, the loco will pick up one rail per truck to power the loco. This can cause some trouble as it was on my little Shay. The loco body has a different potential as the rear truck has which caused shorts in curves. The loco also stalls on turnouts and most brass parts which need to transfer current to the motor were oxidised so the whole thing wasn’t running very well. But the previous owner already installed a Maxxon motor and that was a good base to start with.

While I like this little engine so much, I decided to restore her into good running condition to get this little horse ready for my new logging railroad in Hon30.

The solution to get this issue solved is called 3D-print. I designed new truck gear boxes and let them printed in FUD by Shapeways. The original gears and wheels will fit in perfectly and are proper aligned in the new trucks. There are also slots to install pickups to add all-wheel-pickup to the loco. The newly printed trucks also contains classic Hon30 couplers like MinitrainS uses to couple the loco with my rolling stock.

The plastic parts will isolate all parts for 100% and the gears are working fine as well. I look forward to get the loco ready for a test run soon to see if the new truck gear boxes will improve the running quality. To be continued…

Cheers, Gerd

My start into Hon30 logging

Posted by Gerd on Thursday, 20 March 2014 with 1 Comment

Since several month, I own some MinitrainS rolling stock. The little locos are so cute and real good running engines. When I heard that MinitrainS will bring the 0-8-0 Brigade-steam locos in Hon30, I had to start a project in Hon30 logging with european prototypes…

So this is my start into another logging railroad.

I got two wooden boxes, original designed as wooden canvas for art, and I like to use them as basis for my Hon30 railroad. Each box is 40x20cm and 6cm high. I screwed two of them together and got the baseboard for my first segment. It will represent a little terminus deep in the woods. There are charcoal piles to be served by rail and an old engine shed. Everything in front of the rails will become meadows. Everything behind will become deep forest as natural backdrop.

I used the Peco 009 tracks with the crooked ties and glued them down with carpet tape. I drilled holes for underfloor switch mechanisms for the turnouts that I’ll install next.

I just moved my Fn3-pages into this blog

Posted by Gerd on Thursday, 20 March 2014 (Comments Closed)

Good morning logging railroaders, I just moved my old Fn3-pages from the website into this blog. You may find them int he menu bar at the top. There you’ll find general information as well as detail pages about my locomotives and cars. There’re also photo galleries and videos linked. For future updates on this railroad, […]

Fn3 – Scratchbuild Logcars for the LVLC

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 18 March 2014 (Comments Closed)

When I started again in 1:20 scale, I just had some freight- and workcars, but what a logging railroad really needs are log cars. I build my own one since non of the buyable cars will match to my existing rolling stock. I got some wood stripes from the hardware store and I had 3 […]

Welcome to my new blog

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 18 March 2014 (Comments Closed)

Hello and a warm Welcome to my new Blog After my good expierences with my first blog regaring the trolley line that I’m build in H0m scale, I decided to start a second one especially for my logging railroad projects. This allows me to maintain and create new posts very easy even with new photos […]