Hello my friends,
well, what happened to 2019? it’s nearly gone…
Coming Sunday, this years Xmas season will start and in the past years, this was the time when my workshop got a real boon in projects and models. Back in time, when I was attending the Livesteam Indoor Meet in Germany, I had a lot to organize during the end of the year and sometimes, I challenged even huge projects in a short time, like a whole new turntable in 5″-gauge, build within a few days.
All of these projects didn’t happen if I didn’t get so much support by my wife and family. They gave me a lot of spare time to work on my models/projects and to let me attend on exhibitions, not always without head-shaking.
Therefore it’s the best time to say “Thanks” and I decided to keep the workshop closed during the next weeks, spending the whole time with my family. I wish you all a peaceful and happy Xmas-season. We’ll see/read us again next year.
Kind regards, your “Waldbahner” aka Gerd.
Well, the car is done…
And as in the first part, I don’t have photos of the building steps. If you’re interested in details, feel free to ask!
Once all the brass profiles were applied, I brush painted them black. The window framing got glued onto the plastic window-glazing first and the whole windows are than installed to the car. Additional details parts got added from plastic and metal parts to complete the car body. Last challenge became the roof, which was made from three separate bend segments soldered together. On the inside, the roof is inforced by two 10mm plywood arches. The roof is removable to show to the interior.
As usual, the car got its final transformation from “model car” to “logging railroad equipment” by the use of the airbrush. The third photo shows the interior I added. The door features working hinges and opens.
Last photos today are showing the latest models in service on the garden railroad.
After a short break, I’ll show you some progress on my next Moldovita based car. The line used a small 4-wheel caboose on their log trains and I always had a special favor for it. At least for its small size and octagonal body shape.
I checked my scrap box and found some 26mm wheelsets and OZARK journal/pedestals. Together with some brass profiles, the chassis was built within a few minutes. But than, it become much more difficult and complex…
Finally, it become so complex, that I missed to take photos during the build. The prototype seems to be built from a metal frame, planked with wooden boards from the inside. A very difficult design to use in 1:19 (16mm) scale. So I started to work out a sandwich-construction. Base for the car body is 2mm plywood, used for the floor and walls. They got screwed together with brass angles. Once the base was done, I glued thin wood planks to the car body and added more brass profiles to create the frame under the car.
Last challenge was to add the slim frame-work. I was pretty sure that glue would not hold them in place for long time, so I decided to “blind-solder” them from the back. the profiles are self made from 0.3mm brass sheet and I drilled holes through the brass and car body. Then I inserted brass nails from the inside, soldered them to the profiles on the outside and filed them flush. I think this will be the best way. I just finished one side, so I’ve to spend some more work to get all the brass profiles applied.