I’m so sorry, but the assembly was so joyful, I once missed again to take progress photos. I hope the few photos below can give you some ideas of the details.
I’m still amazed by the boiler back head detail. Sure, this is an open cab loco, so the back head is visible to the spectator, but the detail is astonishing. All valves and gauges are modelled, the pressure gauge even has a tiny needle. Injectors, regulator, check valves…. Even the number plate on the smokebox door is lettered with Lima Locomotive Co., but 0.35mm letters are hard to read. Anyway, with some drybrush, I could highlight them to make them visible.
Before I painted the chassis, I added Toma’s Hon30 couplings and handrails on top of the endbeams from 0.5mm brass wire.
The roof is made from a different material and features a nice tarpaper style surface. It’s screwed to the roof stands. BTW, the whole model is holes together with small screws, so it’s easy to take the loco apart for repairs or changes.
Here’s the finished loco so far. I’m very happy with the design and overall appearance. Just needs some crew figures, tools and clutter as well as a nice load of firewood.
Let’s assemble the working driveshaft for the RTR chassis. Many parts are attached on a sprue and it’s recommended to leave them in place, until they are needed. Many holes have to be drilled to final dimension, which will provide nice press fits on the silver shafts.
My hand in the back gives an idea how tiny the parts are. The UV-resin is strong, but brittle if to much force is applied. So handle all parts and tools carefully. It’S also recommended to read the full instruction first (provided as PDF in Japanese and English). The assembly steps are well organized and reasoned. Most wire shafts are used in overlength and hold in a pin vise during assembly. This way it’s easy to fiddle them into the tight press fits of the tine parts. If you cut the shafts first, you’ve no chance. Ask why I know this ;-). Some photos are hosted below when I assemble the universal joints.
The wire used in the universal joints is 0.5mm. They are pressed into 0.5mm bores in the ring, while the square shafts are drilled to 0.6mm. It’s imported to drill all holes with a pin vise and hand power. No power tools. Follow the instructions ;-) Once the pin is in place, cut off with rail nipper and file smooth.
In the last step, I assembled the new steam engine with rotating crankshaft. Unfortunately, I enjoyed assembly that much, that I missed to take photos. I’m sorry for that. The crank shaft is going straight through with cranks in place, but without drive rods. It’s hard to notice on the finished model but makes assembly much easier.
Finally, I added the tiny pits for the truss-rods, steps and pilots. The working driveshaft is powered by the front wheelset in the rear truck, while all other bevel gears are dummy. This results in very smooth running. The front truck is powered by the center driveshaft, mostly hidden by the ash pan.
The next part will show the amazing details on the boiler and the other super structure parts.
after my short “trip” to Wales, I’m now back on logging related projects. The first project will be a new tiny Shay for 9mm gauge, which I bought mostly out of curiosity.
This kit is offered by Toma Model Works in Japan and is mostly made from 3D-printed UV-resin. As I feared the assembly of the drive mechanism, I ordered a kit with RTR chassis included. This kit only features a static, non roating drive shaft, but the parts to make the drive shaft working are available as a separate kit as well. So I decided to take this combination, as the full kit with working driveshaft was sold out at that time anyway.
The first look into the small boxes was very scary. There were tons of tiny parts. NO idea how to assemble them all into a working loco model. On the other hand, the quality and details are amazing. The boiler has full back head details.
The RTR chassis runs very smooth and slow from lowest voltage onwards. Small complain might be the buzzing spur gear drive. Maybe there are ways to silence it. We’ll see later, what’s possible or not.
The following posts will show the assembly progress on this loco.
More comming soon, here on my blog.
Hi folks, today I’ll share the last part of my little 009-layout-rebuilt. A typical small detail on a Welsh or British little narrow gauge line would be sheeps. So I was looking for some fences to make a small section of a sheep meadow along tht edge of the layout, when I remembered our trip […]
Hello folks, today I show you the cottage I made from a Dapol kit. Beside the new house, I added a small loading dock to the team track for milk churns and other goods. I also placed a typical phone booth and letter box to underline the british flair. Some people are arranged in little […]
Good morning, at the end of the freight track, a coal dealer has raised his office shack and started business. The shack came with the same kit as the station building, made by Dapol. The coal bin is scratchbuilt from wood. In between, I made a plattform for the passengers. It’s made from cork to […]