Posts by date

landscape gardening

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 27 April 2021 with 2 Comments

Hi folks,

actually, the railroad projects are on hold, as we start work to rearrange the lower portion of the garden. In the past weeks, I moved a lot of stones and earth.

The space below the railroad station will be covered with wood to store crates of rolling stock and kid toys. The ground in front will get filled up to level the lawn and off course, new grass will be installed as well. To support the new layer of dirt, I added a dry wall from sandstone.

There were some more corners, which need some attention. I added slices of sandstone to an old concrete wall. Once dry, I’ll cut off the excess on top and create more weatherproof storage capacity here.

Most stone work is done. So, the next weeks, I’ll install the storage shelfs and dig over the ground for further processing.

Cheers, Gerd

[Garden Railroad] Railcar turntable

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 20 April 2021 with 3 Comments

Hi folks,

time for a new update here on my blog. my Romanian style logging railroad operates a rail car, rebuild from a an old Russian Wolga. Out “in the woods” the railcar is turned on the wye, but down in Ronja Springs, there was no turning facility available. The real rail cars often featured a turning device to lift the car off the rails on any location. But this is hard to model in scale, especially in a functional way.

When looking through my books, I spotted a special kind of railcar turntable used on the CFF Teregova line. This would be the perfect turntable device for my lower station.

I found some low-pro brass rails and some brass pieces in my scrap-box. I made a cut through the foot of the rail, bend it down, soldered it together and milled the lower section of the tips flat to create a little ramp.

I use soft-solder to join the parts together. After a balance test, I added the pin to the center brackets. For the layout, I made a small socket from round bar and brass sheet. This socket is located near the water tower, at the switch to the loco maintenance spur.

The turntable track is placed beside the rails when not in use. Now the rail car can be turned before heading backwards into the storage spur. BTW, the Krauss loco also fits this turntable, but might be way to heavy in relation to the rails used. The Resita loco also fits, but there’s not enough space to turn her around.

We also started some garden work at the lower portion of the garden, so railroad projects are on the backlist at the moment. But I’ll keep you updated.

Another good news – I finally found a layout concept for my Hon30 battery Shay “Gopher” – so stay tuned.

Bye, Gerd

[LVLC] Shay #5 in the Workshop

Posted by Gerd on Thursday, 1 April 2021 with 1 Comment

Hi folks,

today I like to share some update on Louise Valley Lumber Co. Shay #5.

During the last rework, I added 3D-printed replacements for the broken foot boards on the pilot beams. Unfortunately, they didn’t last long. Also, the steps to the cab were broken multiple times and glued back in place, until they broke off again.

Now it’s time to replace them with rigged brass parts. I used the opportunity to make the foot boards at the end beams smaller, as I don’t need the extra wide opening for the regular couplers.

The construction is very simple. I used 12x10x1mm brass L profiles and some 1.5mm thick brass strips. The parts are holt together with small rivets and got soldered as well. Before applying the paint, I spend a quick sandblast.

While I was already working on the loco, I remembered another tweak I had on my list for many years. The previous owner chopped the length of the cab roof. In my opinion the overall proportions don’t look right. At least to me. Fortunately, I got an original replacement roof.

To make the longer roof fit, I had to rearrange the firewood load. I poked a screw driver under the load and it came off very easily. So I moved the wooden create inside the tender further to the back to get more space to lift off the tender shell for access to the batteries. A new firewood load was installed to match the longer roof. Some small parts as the water valve handles are homemade from brass and styrene.

The new firewood pile isn’t “full load” as before, which looks more realistic to me.

At the end, I’m very happy with the new appearance of the loco with it’s original roof. Finally, the loco is ready for the 2021 season.