First page of the Layout construction archive.

[YLPC] Sawmill second part

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 11 May 2021 with 6 Comments

Welcome back to the second part.

The sawmill got placed on the first segment. The ties for the further tramroad are also placed into the sandy ground of the Sandhills. With the mill in place, I started to add the final components and details. To add the roofs, I used 0.4mm plywood instead of cardboard as supplied by the kit. The tar paper also comes with the kit. As mentioned in the first part, my model railroad will represent the early begining of a new logging operation, so structures and equipment doesn’t heavy wear or weathering yet.

As the lower row of photos shows, the rails are also in place by now. I made them from basswood strips 1×1.5mm. Next will be to add some green and grass to the ground and to continue on the next segments as well.

Bye, Gerd

[YPLC] A new timber railroad adventure just begins

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 4 May 2021 with 2 Comments

Hi folks,

after many ideas and withdrawn plans, I finally found a way to build a timber-tramroad layout to run my little Toma-Shay. The layout is designed in 3 segments and will show a fresh started logging operation in the late 19th centuray, out in the Carolina Sandhills.

I found an old diecast kit of the “Tie & Plank Mill” produced by Woodland Scenics, which will become the sawmill on my railroad. To make it fit, I had to mirrow the working direction so the logs will come in from the right, while the timber output is to the left. This required some kitbashing. Also, the mill will become a relief structure right at the backdrop.

Once the parts were deburred and cleaned, I made the required changes and created subassemblies when possible. This would make the coloring part easier. All parts got primed and base colored with an airbrush. After a wash to highlight the wood grain, all the small details got hand-painted.

Finally, the sawmill got pre-assembled on my workbench. Remember, that this will become a relief structure and lean against the backdrop one finished.

Next weeks report will show the final touches on the sawmill and installation on the first segment of the layout.

Cheers, Gerd

[WBE] The new module is done

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 6 March 2018 with 9 Comments

Hello folks, just in time for the model train show starting on Friday, the new module got finished. I added the backdrop and some small details. I’m very pleased with the result, which turned out better than expected. I’ll build a transport-crate for the new module this week and the whole layout will travel to […]

[WBE] detail work and lots of boards…

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 27 February 2018 with 5 Comments

Well, the most work is done… Since I got the landscape and flora done last week, I just finished the last huge step, detailing the sawmill-area. I also printed the name plate, which is shown in German here. There’s also an English version printed. The stacks of boards and timbers are made from balsa wood […]

[WBE] Weir, trees and grasses…

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 20 February 2018 with 6 Comments

Hello, the last week, I’ve build the weir for the water-wheel and added it to the canal. Since the time is running by very quick, I directly planted the trees to get the progress continue. The next evening, I started with the bushes and grasses. It took some time to get the whole layout covered, […]

[WBE] Ballast and first greens

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 13 February 2018 with 2 Comments

Hello again, another week has passed. I added the ballast to the tracks as well as basic green ground cover I use. The ballast is spread out dry along the rails. I use a mixture of Noch model train ballast with sand and fine turfs. Once the ballast is done, I moisture everything with rubbing […]

[WBE] Wires and hills

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 6 February 2018 with 5 Comments

Hello, another week has passed. Once the electrical stuff was done, I gave the rails an airbrush weathering and spend a light grey dry-brush to the sleepers. To raise the hills, I glued some layers of foam (used for house insulation) to the layout and cut them to shape. I use a wire-brush in the […]

[WBE] digging out the mill creek

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 30 January 2018 with 7 Comments

Hi folks, I just got the “go” for the Exhibition in Sinsheim/Germany on March 9-11th. So it’s time to get some more progress done on the new module. I made a cut out to the module box just beside the sawmill to add the mill creek. I added strips of plywood to gain some depth […]

[WBE] A new module for my Hon30 layout

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 23 January 2018 (Comments Closed)

Hello logging railroaders!!! After spending so much time on my Resita loco, I’ll switch to a smaller scale project. I just started work on a new module for my Hon30 forestry railroad. I look forward to exhibit the layout again in March 2018, so it would be great to show something new. Once the module […]

[Hon30] – My new module is finished

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 5 January 2016 with 1 Comment

Hello logging railroaders, I’m proud to present my latest module creation finished. It’s the last (by now) module of my Hon30 logging layout. Enjoy the pics :-) Now I’ll focus more on my rolling stock in H0n30. Some new locos have to get weathered and detailed and there are some more models on my wish […]