after the video presentation of last week, here’s the final building log of this micro layout. Each segment is 75mm wide and the backdrop 60mm high, while the track length is approx 3′. To make the backdrop, I searched the internet for a good photo of sandhill forests. With simple graphic tools, I made a long backscene by copy/paste and mirror-function. The backdrop is than printed on sticker paper on a color laser printer to be glued to the backdrop.
Small hills on the layout are created with foam and spackle. The lower portion was milled into the 8mm thick baseboard.
After a coat of acrylic paint, I glued the ties in place and covered them immediately with sand. I use white glue for this step. Further layers of sand are glued down with water/whiteglue-mixture. The rails themself are added once the ground cover was finished. I also sanded the ties flat on top for smooth operation of the log train.
The rails are made from 1×1.5mm basswood and glued down with super glue every 4th tie. I made small gauges from brass to ensure the correct gauge of 9mm.
To add more interesting to the scenery, I made some relief trees from Woodland branches on real wood logs. The stumps are also Woodland white metal castings. With the relief trees, the layout gained more depth. It’s also nice to watch the train passing underneath the leaves.
At the right end of the line, I installed a log deck from timbers and logs.
Finally, I added the vegetation from different FineTurfs and grasses, made by Woodland and Busch.
I used water/whiteglue mixture to glue the turf down and regular glue for bushes and grass. I spend effort to blend the vegetation into the same colors as used on the backdrop.
Well, this was my second Microlayout in 2021. Now it’s time to get back to the larger scales. There’s a full list of ideas and a well filled parts-box on the shelf. At least, the warmer weather calls for mode garden railroading ;-)
as this layout features some special feature, I decided to present you the final layout today. Once you know the final details, this movie might become somewhat unspectacular. Enjoy!!
The Yellow Pine Lumber Co. was founded in 1894 at Hoffman in North Carolina. The railroad operated two lines. The first one down into the south, later a new line to the north east was build. The original ROW is still visible in form of roads today. This railroad operated on the rare gauge of 30″ and owned one of only two 30″-gauge Shays in the Sandhills region. Therefore, this was a perfect match for my little Toma Shay.
As usual, my micro layout is dedicated to the prototype, but no accurate model of any prototype situation.
Hi folks, while adding landscape scenery, I came to the idea to add a small water tower for the Shay locomotive. I collected some scrap wood and called my dad to 3D print his On30 water spout in half size. Base of the tank is piece of round wood, bored on the lathe to get […]
Welcome back to the second part. The sawmill got placed on the first segment. The ties for the further tramroad are also placed into the sandy ground of the Sandhills. With the mill in place, I started to add the final components and details. To add the roofs, I used 0.4mm plywood instead of cardboard […]
Hi folks, after many ideas and withdrawn plans, I finally found a way to build a timber-tramroad layout to run my little Toma-Shay. The layout is designed in 3 segments and will show a fresh started logging operation in the late 19th centuray, out in the Carolina Sandhills. I found an old diecast kit of […]
Hi folks, short update from my projects. Not much done, but at least, the tiny Toma Shay got named “Gopher” inspired by Shay c/n433. I had ideas to build a small layout for this loco, but non of the plans could convince me by now or at least, were to large for my space. So […]
Well, some may have wondered about last weeks update, others already got an idea what I did. Here’s the 4th part of my tiny Shay loco, showing you a little untold secret ;-) The Toma Shay is factory equipped with a small coreless motor. I meassured the current draw of this motor, which is 6-7mA […]
Hello folks, time for a new update. I did some research on 13ton open cab Shays in the past weeks and where they were used. Doing so, I found a couple of such locos in North Carolina, running into the Carolina Sandhills to get timber, turpentine and tar from pine trees. A very interesting detail […]
Hi folks, the tiny Toma Shay is finished. Beside the firewood pile and crew figures, I added obligatory tools and clutter to the runboards. I also spend a light wash-weathering. As this loco was build in 1890 and will be used in its early years, there’s no heavy weathering needed. As a special detail, I […]
Hi folks, I’m so sorry, but the assembly was so joyful, I once missed again to take progress photos. I hope the few photos below can give you some ideas of the details. I’m still amazed by the boiler back head detail. Sure, this is an open cab loco, so the back head is visible […]