Hello my friends,
I wish all of you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
This year christmas eve, we had a small family meet and some officially maiden runs on the new garden railroad. I look forward to get the rest of the line build in 2019 as well as some of the rolling stock finished, which is on my wish list as well.
Kind regards, Gerd
I can report success on the wheelbase-change of my Mogul.
Right after my last post, I grabbed the angle-grinder and started to cut out the new slot for the rear set of drivers. Once the rough cutting was done, I filled the slot to final size and smoothed out the edges to get a perfect fit for the axle bearings just as on the original slot.
At the inside of the frame, I had to remove a bit of the firebox sheet to clear the lip of the axle bearings. The bearings are now guided by the upper section only on the rear end, but once they are installed with springs and bearing lock, they are firmly guided and will suspend also. Key is to work clean and precise.
At the old bearing slot, I removed the noses which hold the lower bearing locks and installed the locks flush with the underside of the frame. At the new location, I head to make new locks from brass and screwed them in place. I used the nearby screws from the manufacturer plate and drilled new holes on the other side. And here’s the frame with shortened wheelbase.
Last step was to shorten the connection rods. I cut them with 3mm extra on both ends and milled 6mm of the ends down to half thickness. So I got a lap-joint which got silver-soldered.
The last photo shows the loco with boiler and cab added. What a transformation and for my point – a very good one.
Now I’ll take a brake in my workshop for the upcomming holidays. I whish you all a Merry Christmas.
starting this week, I’ll report the progress of my Mogul-rebuild. Once the loco arrived at my home, I tested the loco with compressed air first, followed by a steam-up to check if everything was working fine. As the loco was performing well on the workbench, I brought her out to the garden railroad for some test runs.
Later I finished the list of rebuild projects and started to dismantle the tender and loco. The tender once may housed RC-controlls and other equipment as most of the inner structure has been destroyed and a crude top-cover was glued on to hide the mess. So the tender will need some rebuild and fixing. It will hold battery and RC controller again. I’ll also add some details to my own favor.
The loco was fine so far and only showed marks from removed RC components in the back of the cab. Maybe I can restore it, or I’ll add a new cab rear wall.. As I figured out at the test runs in the garden, the very long Baldwin-style wheelbase of this 2-6-0 tends to trouble on the curves, even on LGB-R3 radius. I found photos on the web of similar Accucraft Moguls, which got rebuild to have a shorter wheelbase. I’ll try to do this on my loco as well and bring her more to the look of the Colorado&Southern Moguls, which were favorite locos of mine.
So I started to disassemble the loco as well, down to the frame. I found a lot of old oil, which got cleaned out of bearings and off the frame. Once the wheelsets have been removed, I started to figure our, how to move the rear drivers closer to the center driver.
I think this will become some kind of a challenge. The frame seems to be made from steel, so cutting or milling will be not easy. And I fear there’s only one try for this project. the last photo for today shows the position marked on the frame, where a new slot needs to be cut for the axle bearing.
Hello, today I don’t have logging-related news, but good news anyway. I got a livesteam Accucraft Mogul as a bargain from eBay. The loco and especially the tender needs some attention/rebuilt, but at least, the steam part is working great. As last year on my Resita project, I’ve a long list with things to be […]
Hello, this year, I was very busy in many model railroad projects and I made good progress not only on my new garden railroad. At least, I attended more than 8 model train shows and exhibited my model train layouts. With the beginning Advent time, I like to relax a little bit to gain more […]
Hello, I got asked a few times, how I custom letter my garden railroad trains. So here’s a short description of the technique I use. The last days, I finished my rolling stock for the “Southern Palatinate Narrow Gauge Railway”. I use CorelDraw and a stencil-type font to create the text I need. In my […]
Hi folks, today, I’ve a short vlog for you. Enjoy and see you next week.
Good morning, today there’s not much to read, but something to watch – enjoy ;-) Bye, Gerd
Hello my friends, last week, we were on y short vacation trip through Germany, so there was no time for my logging railroads. BUT, there are some news anyway, since I got a parcel from UK yesterday, containing my first Deltang components. Deltang offers several items and modules to create Radio-Controlls for several model related […]
Hello, today I’ve some news from Ronja Springs. The Woods Furniture building got the company name added to the roof as well as a stone basement to raise the structure to the height of the boxcars. The letters were cnc-milled from styrene, the girders milled from PVC-foam-board. I used some T-profiles as well. All parts […]