when I cleaned the workshop two weeks ago, I found lots of timber cut-offs and I decided to use them for a project I had in mind for a long time. During the last Moody Lumber operation session at Zürich, I had several derailments with the loaded disconnects. The heavy log loads. Most were caused by the log load. While the disconnect log cars make trouble, the truck based freight cars do not.
So I started to build 3 more logging flatcars similar to the one I made some while ago and I’ll use the disconnects as trucks as I do on the other equipment.
I re-saw the timbers on my little sawmill (circular table saw) to get all the sills, beams and bolsters to make three flatcar frames. Some are already equipped with hardware. Next step is to prepare the side sills and finally assembling and painting of the frames.
Another big advantage on the flat cars is, that I can easily add some gondola walls to haul ballast or other freight as well, so I’m more flexible. And I can choose which kind of lumber/logs I like to haul from huge redwoods, to pulpwood.
in the past two weeks, I finished some very important steps which I postponed way to long.
As we bought our new house, the back side above the porch roof wasn’t finished. I covered the section up with wood in clapboard style. It took me two days and was worth the effort.
There were some other unfinished sections which got finished as well, so all open tasks from the To-Do-List have been closed by now.
Maybe someone may wonder what happened to the upper garden I reported of some weeks ago. Well, the grass grows very fine as well as the flowers in front of it. I also finished the small play ground for our daughter.
After all this jobs done, it was time to go back into the workshop for some railroad projects… But what the heck…
Well, I put in some good music, rolled up the sleeves and started to clean up the whole shop. It took me the whole week since I decided pretty soon, that it would be best to make it right. I rebuild and rearranged some shelfs, added new ones and reorganized some other areas to store tools and stuff. I even spend the time to sort all my drills… At the end I’m very happy about all the work I spend I really look forward to keep the workshop as tidy as possible during the next projects ;-)
Hello logging railroaders,
at a model railroad show in Mannheim in January, I meet Daniel from Mannheim, which has watched my videos on Youtube about my Hon30 logging railroad modules. He was fascinated by the concept and design and told me that he’s going to build his own railroad soon.
Now I’m happy to show you the first photos of Daniel’s “Waldbahn im Casanital”. He wrote to me:
Since 1800, the forests around Casanital were harvested for logs and timber. After approx 3 years of logging, a 2′ narrow gauge railroad was built to haul the timber out of the forest. In the first years, horses and oxen were used to haul the cars, but in 1810, the first little 0-4-0 steam loco was put into service, build by the Mosbacher Maschinenfabrik. After WW1, retired rolling stock from the former Heeresfeldbahn was acquired and came to the Waldbahn im Casanital.
In the meantime, the railroad line was extended to a cement works and a small harbour at a nearby canal was built as well.
Since several month, the presidents of the Waldbahn Casanital and Waldbahn Eusserthal are in contact about a connecting route between both railroads.
It’s planned to show both layouts together at a show in Ludwigshafen later in 2018. Maybe Bernd will join as well with his railroad, which would lead into the largest Hon30-Casani-Module-Meet so far. As soon as I’ve further details, I’ll post them here on my blog.
Hi, today I’ll show you the second part of the rail-car. As announced in the last post, I made a new trailing truck from brass and small 18mm wheelsets. As before, I used photos of the car at Commandau as reference. The truck can be taken apart by screws to insert the wheelsets after painting. […]