today I like to share some update on Louise Valley Lumber Co. Shay #5.
During the last rework, I added 3D-printed replacements for the broken foot boards on the pilot beams. Unfortunately, they didn’t last long. Also, the steps to the cab were broken multiple times and glued back in place, until they broke off again.
Now it’s time to replace them with rigged brass parts. I used the opportunity to make the foot boards at the end beams smaller, as I don’t need the extra wide opening for the regular couplers.
The construction is very simple. I used 12x10x1mm brass L profiles and some 1.5mm thick brass strips. The parts are holt together with small rivets and got soldered as well. Before applying the paint, I spend a quick sandblast.
While I was already working on the loco, I remembered another tweak I had on my list for many years. The previous owner chopped the length of the cab roof. In my opinion the overall proportions don’t look right. At least to me. Fortunately, I got an original replacement roof.
To make the longer roof fit, I had to rearrange the firewood load. I poked a screw driver under the load and it came off very easily. So I moved the wooden create inside the tender further to the back to get more space to lift off the tender shell for access to the batteries. A new firewood load was installed to match the longer roof. Some small parts as the water valve handles are homemade from brass and styrene.
The new firewood pile isn’t “full load” as before, which looks more realistic to me.
At the end, I’m very happy with the new appearance of the loco with it’s original roof. Finally, the loco is ready for the 2021 season.
short update from my projects.
Not much done, but at least, the tiny Toma Shay got named “Gopher” inspired by Shay c/n433. I had ideas to build a small layout for this loco, but non of the plans could convince me by now or at least, were to large for my space.
So I’ve to spend some more thoughts on a layout and maybe I can use the time in between to finish some other models.
Well, some may have wondered about last weeks update, others already got an idea what I did. Here’s the 4th part of my tiny Shay loco, showing you a little untold secret ;-)
The Toma Shay is factory equipped with a small coreless motor. I meassured the current draw of this motor, which is 6-7mA in regular use, up to 12mA when the wheels are blockes with a thumb. Let’s combine this with a tiny 50mAh Lipo battery, which will be the base for an RC conversion.
As the Shay has limited room inside, the only spot to add RC would be the tender top and inside the firewood pile. I already had a Deltang reviever at home, so I searched for tiny Lipo batteries.
I made a 3D model of each component in Fusion360 as well as model of the tender shell. Next hours were spend in good old Tetris-manner, trying to puzzle all parts in place. A tiny SMD switch could be placed behind the timber railing, same would be possible for a charging socket. Its tight, but should work.
What Fusion360 did not show me is, how tiny tiny the space really is and how to use a soldering iron in litteraly no space at all. First, I converted the power truck. I removed the pick-ups to the wheels and replaced them with a tiny 2-pol socket. This plug-in connection allows easy desassembly if necessary.
A 3-pol-socket for charging was placed on the back side of the tank. I had to file one of the opening and add some shims to make it fit. I use 3-pol sockets for charging with “minus-plus-minus” to allign polarity. On the firemen side, I added the SMD switch with some shims underneath. The knob is sticking out of the grate.
The photo below shows the components used. To charge the battery, I use an external USB-charger with cable connection.
As I designed the whole rebuild in CAD, it was easy to create a woodpile which would cover up all the RC components. I added cut outs for the switch and socket and send the file to my dad for 3D-printing. The printed part got painted and fits perfectly in place, covering up all the electronics below.
Beside the wood pile, I send files for disconnect log cars to my dad as well. But that’s another story for another week.
Hello folks, time for a new update. I did some research on 13ton open cab Shays in the past weeks and where they were used. Doing so, I found a couple of such locos in North Carolina, running into the Carolina Sandhills to get timber, turpentine and tar from pine trees. A very interesting detail […]
Hi folks, the tiny Toma Shay is finished. Beside the firewood pile and crew figures, I added obligatory tools and clutter to the runboards. I also spend a light wash-weathering. As this loco was build in 1890 and will be used in its early years, there’s no heavy weathering needed. As a special detail, I […]
Hi folks, I’m so sorry, but the assembly was so joyful, I once missed again to take progress photos. I hope the few photos below can give you some ideas of the details. I’m still amazed by the boiler back head detail. Sure, this is an open cab loco, so the back head is visible […]
Let’s assemble the working driveshaft for the RTR chassis. Many parts are attached on a sprue and it’s recommended to leave them in place, until they are needed. Many holes have to be drilled to final dimension, which will provide nice press fits on the silver shafts. My hand in the back gives an idea […]
Hello loggers, after my short “trip” to Wales, I’m now back on logging related projects. The first project will be a new tiny Shay for 9mm gauge, which I bought mostly out of curiosity. This kit is offered by Toma Model Works in Japan and is mostly made from 3D-printed UV-resin. As I feared the […]
More comming soon, here on my blog.