Posts by date

[CFF] Smokestack and more

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 31 August 2021 with 3 Commentsas , ,

Let’s finish the boiler.

I was looking for cast brass parts to add the water feed valves, but I couldn’t get some. So I finally decided to make them scratch-built from brass. The parts are made on the lathe and I added some cast hand wheels. Looks better than the cast brass parts .

On top of the smoke box, the smokestack was still missing. This part was made from PCV round stock, shaped on the lathe as well and I added some small plastic pieces for final design.

Now the boiler is done except for the back head detail. I added the head light and some more pipes along the boiler. At the chassis, I placed the supports for the water tanks.

And to give a size comparison to my H0n30 fans, the last photo shows small Minitrains Krauss on the cab floor.

Meanwhile, I’m working on the boiler back head detail. I’ll show you the results next week.

[CFF] Pipework and electrics

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 24 August 2021 (Comments Closed)as , ,

Let’s continue with the pipework on the new loco. Below the future cab floor, I mounted two injectors and extended them with the water pipes. While body of the loco has to be removable, I made separate attachments for the water tank outlet valves.

For the cylinders, I made gland pieces to take the in and out steam pipes. I used black Delrin to make them. Bending the pipes was a mess and in case of the inlet pipes, I spend 4 attempts until I was satisfied with the result.

Also in place is the lubricator on the engineer side. As on the prototype, it’s powered by a link coming from the cross head.

Now it’s time to get the RC and electronic parts installed. Battery-Checker, voltage regulator and fuse are placed in the firebox area. The 4S Lipo battery is housed inside the boiler while the Deltang Rx66 is hidden by the white cover on top of the power unit.

So it’s time for some test runs in the garden to get familiar with the future operation side. Afterwards with loco got placed next to my other CFF steam locos on the shelf, waiting for further progress.

[CFF] Adding more details to the boiler

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 17 August 2021 (Comments Closed)as , ,

Let’s continue the boiler.

I added safety valves to the steam dome, made from brass, screws and nuts.

The steam outlet at the front of the dome is cast brass and bought from Bertram Heyn. I removed the lever and mounted it to the side of the dome as on the prototype I like to model. On the fireman’s side, I added another valve which will supply the water ejector with steam.

The sand dome also got finished. I added sand pipes provided by DMR Reppingen. Both domes are hold in place by screws from the inside of the boiler.

The photos above also show the location of the battery pack inside the boiler. I also started to build the boiler back-head. Therefore, I’m now able to determine the final height of the boiler and create the support for the smokebox next. This part is made from plastic sheet and brass nails as used on the frame.

Step by step, it’s starting to look like a steam locomotive. Actually, I’m working on the steam pipes to the cylinders. More on that next week.

[CFF] Steam and sand dome

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 10 August 2021 with 1 Commentas , ,

Hi folks, after the short break, I’m back on the Budapest project. I made the domes for the boiler from steel. This may sound wired first, but since I need the space inside for the battery, I’ve to add weight on other places. At least, I had pieces of steel in my scrap box. The […]

[CFF] What about my rolling stock…

Posted by Gerd on Tuesday, 3 August 2021 (Comments Closed)

Hi folks, round about 5 years ago, I placed my order for the Resita kit. Right afterwards, I started thinking on how to build matching cars and more important, which prototype model I could choose for my own Resita loco. The Resita kit arrived in late 2017 and I immediately started the built. But I […]