I postponed this final step for a long while, but now it’s time to tackle the cab. As on my Krauss loco, I made all walls from 1,5mm ABS plastics. To bend the backside wall, I heated the plastic and used a jig.
The windows were cut out with a scroll saw and filed to shape. I used some paper templates for these parts. Next challenge was to create the sides, which are bend into the roof portion. My first idea was, to make this segment from one single piece, but this idea was dropped very soon.
It was much easier to make two halves. First, I bend the parts with heat and another jig. I left some extra material on all sides and cut them to final dimension after the bend. The cutouts were made in the last step.
On these photos, the parts are just assembled loose on the loco for a first dry-fit. I’ve to spend some more file and sandpaper to make them all fit. Once done, I can glue them together for further detailing.
I was able to postpone the cab construction by adding more details to the water tanks. So I added water hatches for the tanks from PVC and ABS plastics.
Another typical detail on such Budapest locos is the location of the water-sucker inside or in front of the smoke boy support. The model was scratch-built from brass.
Also typical is the diagonal pipe running to the top of the water tank. With such details, the water tanks are done as well. Now is no more hiding to get the cab attached.
Finally, I found some issues with my builders plate. Seems there are differences in scale somehow….
Let’s continue with the water tanks of the loco. The basic construction is made from 2 and 3mm styrene. I glued a 0.5mm sheet to the underside, which represents the walkway along the loco tanks. BTW, I decided to model a welded replacement tanks, as many prototype engines got new tanks before the era I like to represent.
The outer shell of the tanks is made form 1.5mm styrene, which got bend to shape first, glues to the base and cut to dimension in the last step. The water tanks are hollow at the front end. Close to the cab, I added lead weights.
Another detail is the handrail running along the top edge as well as the generator. The tanks are rigged permanently wo the boiler by cross braces. The whole super-structure has to be removable in the end.
The last photo gives an impression of the finished loco once the cab is done as well. I still look for clever solutions how to make rounded side-roof-section.
Welcome back to this weeks blog, as announced last week, I’ll focus on the boiler back-head. Since this is a large scale model, the cab interior will be well visible and needs some decoration as well. The parts are scratch-built from styrene, brass and wires. For hand wheels, I use brass-castings. The parts for the […]