It’s time for another update.
I glued the parts of the cab together after adding the rain gutter to the sides. The side walls were cut with extra width and I used spacers then gluing the front and back. Once the glue was dry, I filed the sides flush with the ends. Nevertheless, I need some filler to get all gaps closed and smooth.
Once the filler was sanded down, the long journey in detailing started. Adding the windows and shutters were not a big deal, but the rivet detail took some while. What do you think, how many rivets are used on the cab only? Leave a comment and the closest guess by end of this week will get an exclusive preview of the nearly finished model ;-)
I also started with the interior by adding some flooring. The remaining cab interior will become the last sub assembly before painting.
I postponed this final step for a long while, but now it’s time to tackle the cab. As on my Krauss loco, I made all walls from 1,5mm ABS plastics. To bend the backside wall, I heated the plastic and used a jig.
The windows were cut out with a scroll saw and filed to shape. I used some paper templates for these parts. Next challenge was to create the sides, which are bend into the roof portion. My first idea was, to make this segment from one single piece, but this idea was dropped very soon.
It was much easier to make two halves. First, I bend the parts with heat and another jig. I left some extra material on all sides and cut them to final dimension after the bend. The cutouts were made in the last step.
On these photos, the parts are just assembled loose on the loco for a first dry-fit. I’ve to spend some more file and sandpaper to make them all fit. Once done, I can glue them together for further detailing.
Hi folks, I was able to postpone the cab construction by adding more details to the water tanks. So I added water hatches for the tanks from PVC and ABS plastics. Another typical detail on such Budapest locos is the location of the water-sucker inside or in front of the smoke boy support. The model […]
Let’s continue with the water tanks of the loco. The basic construction is made from 2 and 3mm styrene. I glued a 0.5mm sheet to the underside, which represents the walkway along the loco tanks. BTW, I decided to model a welded replacement tanks, as many prototype engines got new tanks before the era I […]
Welcome back to this weeks blog, as announced last week, I’ll focus on the boiler back-head. Since this is a large scale model, the cab interior will be well visible and needs some decoration as well. The parts are scratch-built from styrene, brass and wires. For hand wheels, I use brass-castings. The parts for the […]
Let’s finish the boiler. I was looking for cast brass parts to add the water feed valves, but I couldn’t get some. So I finally decided to make them scratch-built from brass. The parts are made on the lathe and I added some cast hand wheels. Looks better than the cast brass parts . On […]
Let’s continue with the pipework on the new loco. Below the future cab floor, I mounted two injectors and extended them with the water pipes. While body of the loco has to be removable, I made separate attachments for the water tank outlet valves. For the cylinders, I made gland pieces to take the in […]
Let’s continue the boiler. I added safety valves to the steam dome, made from brass, screws and nuts. The steam outlet at the front of the dome is cast brass and bought from Bertram Heyn. I removed the lever and mounted it to the side of the dome as on the prototype I like to […]
Hi folks, after the short break, I’m back on the Budapest project. I made the domes for the boiler from steel. This may sound wired first, but since I need the space inside for the battery, I’ve to add weight on other places. At least, I had pieces of steel in my scrap box. The […]
Hi folks, with the chassis of the Budapest loco done so far, it’s time to start the boiler. This will make it easier to design the boiler rest on top of the chassis and some other details. I decided to use a combination of PVC pipe for the boiler with domes and made from steel. […]